Fountain pen

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Flatfish, Feb 17, 2017.

1. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I now think that it was a Parker fountain pen I took notes with in school.
    Parker does make a fountain pen with a steel nib for $ 29 at Fahrneys, which is a pen store in Washington DC. I get their catalog all the time.
    If you have access to a computer at the library, you can look at what's available. The prices go from around $ 30 to astronomical, but it's interesting to look.
    Amazon has a wide range of fountain pens also. The disposable Chinese ones are very, very cheap.

Zykris likes this.
  2. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

I have a Pelikan M 760 that I’ve had about 30 years and a LAMY I got this morning. The Pelikan never leaves my house and I wanted an EDC. Loving the LAMY.

3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Just getting into fountain pens. @Steveclarkus and I are working on our cursive...LOL!!

The Lamy is the basically the aluminum version of the Safari and has a fine point nib. The 1950's Esterbrook has the "fine writing" 2556 nib. I have a black version of the Esterbrook coming soon.
    FP.jpg

4. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Fountain Pens....another on again/off again interest. Started way back in HS, a bit into college with calligraphy. Had a few semi nice pens (to me anyway) along the years....nothing super expensive or extravagant. Always have/want a decent ball pen to write with, even though in today's world it's not used as much. By decent, I mean something that will at least work as intended until the ink is used up, and not fall apart or just stop writing and it's trash bin time.

Which is why.....about 6 years ago, purchased a couple Lamy ALs with converters, several different Noodler's inks. Kind of like wet shaving....HEY! I can refill it, no need to buy junk anymore. Yeah, that rabbit hole. One Lamy is a fine point....not really used as much, it's a little scritchy for me. The medium point used enough for 1/2 a converters' worth of ink a month. The great thing about the Lamy's so far....even if I forget about using them, or where they ended up last time I did, a quick water rinse, refill the converter, and it's good to go.

Hm...maybe it's time to browse again.....

Chuck Naill likes this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

7B3CC38D-E905-47AC-B0D7-AAA32E27BA4C.jpeg I'll be doing my first sac replacement this weekend if all the material come in. The Esterbrook LJ's (double jewels) write beautifully. If I can get this one restored I am probably hooks on getting more to restore.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Steveclarkus and richgem like this.