Fragrances-Answers to some current questions

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Dzia Dzia, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I've been investigating and purchasing various fragrances for about 4-5 months now. I've noticed a peaked interest on TSD recently with many various questions. So I want to post this link that may help many of us out as we (I in particular) develope our FAD.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/10/14/guide-to-fragrance/
    Good hunting all!

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Great read. Thanks for sharing the link.

Robyflexx and Dzia Dzia like this.
  3. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Very nice. Thanks.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If only more people, men and women, would subscribe to "less is more."

David Green, wmbjr, Joef and 2 others like this.
  5. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Thanks Don. What a great article. Nowhere in the entire article do I see the word AXE mentioned!

rmcintyre84, Dzia Dzia and Joef like this.
  6. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thanks for the interesting info.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's because AXE and Trix cereal have something in common-they are for kids.

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Great article-I look forward to the continuation.

Dzia Dzia and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  9. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Nifty. Two additional comments spring to mind:

1. 'Aquatic' and 'ozonic' notes are relatively new to the perfumery world; if you have not investigated scents since Drakkar Noir was all the rage (or before that!), these may be new discoveries for you.
    2. This has been mentioned around here before, but bears repeating: Scent does not have any gender other than that which you ascribe to it. If an EdT that's marketed to the opposite gender is the one that you think smells best on your skin, wear it with pride.

10. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

For 10 years before the den i didnt really wear many scents, but it has also peaked an interest in me....i have mostly reasonably priced AS and colognes and just a couple expensive ones.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  11. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

:signs011:

Excellent article Don!

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Don, thanks for sharing the article! What fragrances do you have in your collection so far?

13. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

this is the case with angel...I think the mens/womens might be different but are pretty much the same scent.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  14. Dzia Dzia

Hey Charley. It's beginning to be like collecting razors so I'm trying to watch what I buy. On my short list is... Lauder for Men & Vetyver by Givenchy and maybe Chanel for Men. The long list is to long to list. Currently I wear...ASB- Proraso Blue, CO Bigelow Bay Rum, British Sterling, English Leather, Arko Aqua.
    AS-Florida Water, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, Clubman
    EDT/EDC-English Leather paired with Eau de Guerlain(vintage), Old Spice(current & vintage), Givenchy Gentleman, Jaïpur pour Homme by Boucheron, Guerlain Vetiver, Dunhill Custom, Polo Red, Halston Z-14, Claiborne for Men, CO Bigelow Bay Rum, Quorum, and the following Aramis collection- Aramis, Brasil Dream, Devin, and in the mail, Havana.
    I also use the current Dana frags as pillow spray... Canoe and British Sterling (they used to be faves 50 years ago but are basically room deoderizers now due to poor reformulation.) Thanks for asking.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

wristwatchb, SHAVEWIZARD420 and wmbjr like this.
  15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the post. There is some great info in the article but the problem is finding a scent you like and that works well with your body chemistry. So there is some trial and error involved, which makes the quest for a great fragrance so fun.

16. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

You like leathers?

Try: Caron En Avion Extrait
    Cuir Ottoman

"Try" does not mean "buy blind" ;)

PLANofMAN and Dzia Dzia like this.
  17. Dzia Dzia

Excellent points. Personally I'm not a fan of the aquatics. My 5 year old grandson and I visit the fragrance counters, men and women's, every trip to the mall (he's worse than I am), smell a lot of fragrances (and coffee beans) and it seems every big house is trying to out do the other with the same scents. They begin to smell alike.

I have a mini vintage Eau de Guerlain that I pair with English Leather because it smelled a little feminine for me but when coupled with EL makes a wonderful fragrance. They have similar top notes and it makes up for EL's weakness in the middle and on my skin their dry down is very similar. I like Geurlain's Shalimar too. I wish my wife did too so I could wear hers occasionally.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Don, you have a very nice collection! I went for years without ever using a cologne or aftershave. Now, I enjoy a few different ones, including:

Aftershaves:
    Alt Innsbruck...also considered a cologne
    Captain's Choice Bay Rum
    Derby City Chop Shop Small Batch Shave Tonic...locally made bay rum
    Fine L’Orange Noir
    Fine Platinum
    Floid Vigoroso
    Pinaud Clubman...ok, but I probably won't buy this one again

Colognes:
    Terre d’Hermès - my overall favorite...I have the Parfum...great scent...a little dab'll do ya
    UOMO - great summertime scent...this one was included in a large bag of discounted products I got via my employer...pretty much a freebie, so I lucked out
    Aramis (recently finished a bottle)...classy scent....a bit strong, but you don't need much

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  19. Dzia Dzia

I'll hunt for them when we go to the mall Wednesday. They may be a little pricey for me but I'll be sure to test them.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Unlike Trix, AXE cannot be enjoyed by adults. :)