Frank Shaving Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by wuluf, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I got mine today, haven't used it yet, so I might say, so far so good :)

It looks like this:

DSC_2252.jpg

jeraldgordon likes this.
  2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

That is a beauty sire - what size is the knot and loft?

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I am glad that you have got a good one so far and it sounds promising if it has only shed one hair. I hope it remains that way.

I am reading on another forum where a user (first FS brush for this gent) today has posted severe shedding issues after only a couple of months of use so he is now in the process of seeing where that will go with Frank Shaving.

The issues with FS may or may not be solved in time. I cannot recommend them based on lack of reliability and accuracy in product provision based on my own experience, and what has been cropping up for more than a year with multiple users across multiple sites. Some of of these individuals make/restore there own brushes and know when they are not receiving correct goods by measurement.

The only reason I bought a brush from FS was to test against another line of brushes, not because I needed a new brush.

Bottom line is if you get a good brush ... enjoy it.

However, like my experience, the next brush may not be good.
    With FS you simply take your chances.

jeraldgordon and Norseman like this.
  4. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

These are the specs:

Hair Level:Finest
    Knot Size:26mm
    Lenth of Handle:44mm
    Height of Loft:54mm
    Width of Hair Knot:58mm
    Weight:73g

5. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Bump. Are people still having issues with Franks brushes? Anyone buy one recently? Any updates on people who have had them for a while? I took a chance and ordered a finest badger from him... A little nervous about it but still optimistic. I know at one point in time he was the go to for an affordable quality badger.

6. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Yes. Bought one that was part Goat hair. Last month. Strange as it may seem... The 1st time I used it the middle tied itself into a knot. Yes, a knot.
    They said they stopped using goat and I'm waiting for another.

7. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Haha. Note to self, no goat hair brushes. One buddy I lent my original boar brush to returned it with a knot in the middle of the knot. I think it was due to too much pressure while lathering though. This franks brush is sure to be exciting.

8. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Yes there are some distributors of FS but from 2 of them i never had any problems
    Same stand with the logo on it but i d' like to mention something:
    I bought a brush with a defective handle (no good shinning actually) but in the handle-stand was No logo on it
    The seller said was from FS but even the box was different
    Instead of the well-known blue hard plastic box was a cheap one with No stamp on it.

9. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I've got the same brush in black 26mm Silvertip coming from China for $56 with the shipping. I asked if they had others and they told me to go to the Frank website and I could get anything on there at wholesale. I asked for a price for a 24mm fan shaped Finest with the long "handle" and they quoted me $42. It's on a site called "Ali Express" and then you look for "Ms. Lavenders" I got the feeling that it's actually Franks himself. They asked me a few times if I'm a dealer or a distributor.

10. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    My FS brush silver tip shed like a son of a gun. I found a Col Conk mixed badger brush on target.com that I bought w/a gift card for $25 over the holidays. After using it since xmas, I don't think it shed even 1 hair. Impressed with the quality of the wood handle and knot I googled them and found they sell direct from their website. They state most of their brushes are manufactured by Progress/Vulfix. I bought their Silver Tip #920 for $70. It doesn't specify the knot size on any of them, but I can tell you it is dense (at least 24mm) with good backbone. It's a very luxurious brush, as you'd expect for $70, but nowhere near the cost of others I'd use to compare to it. I've had it a month or so now and it has shed 1 hair. I never squeezed it out, but I soak it and swish it around in my shaving mug with hot water until I'm convinced I've gotten the soap out of it. Then I shake it out HARD 4 or 5 times, and swiftly brush the tips back and forth on my face towell a few times & finally hang upside down in the stand to dry. I can't speak highly enough of this brush: http://www.colconkproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=277

11. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I thought I did my homework on the brush, many of the "pro reviewers" gave it excellent kudos.Oh well, it's shipped so we'll see soon........if it sucks I'm getting a New Forest Tubby 2...if it doesn't I'm getting a Tubby 1...........I have a 1901 on the way.... and a Rooney.......hiding all this from my honey....it's my crack.......:char039:

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. Doryferon

[​IMG]

A Pure Badger from a distributor of FS
    As you can see the box is from a cheap paper,no logo on it
    The stand has no logo either.
    I can understand this,can be a detraction for FS especially for an experienced customer.

13. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I saw the box mine's supposed to be coming in, looks like plastic? I think? does that sound right? like I said, we'll see..

14. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    You know, guys... I kinda hate to write off Franks. I strongly suspect Mr. Tang's is a smallish operation. I saw a thread here where someone was pretty sure that he and Tony at TGN probably had the same source for knots. I am not defending poor quality, or minimizing the frustration of wasting money on inferior products.

I am just hoping that Ian just hit a bump in the road and can get back on course. It is easier for me to imagine a lone entrepreneur not knowing how to handle a business problem than it is for me to imagine the same guy selling out for short-run fast cash. Surely he sees the small, interconnected community of shaving enthusiasts! It's not like we are a quiet lot who keeps our joys and concerns carefully shielded.

(I got my FS 22mm Richmond in Finest a couple of months ago. It's a brilliant brush and holding up well. Had I received a dud, I may or may not have been willing to gamble on a second.)

15. Doryferon

Forget the Blue pretty tough paper box with the logo on it
    This one is a cheap paper with no logo
    The cheapest box for a brush in the whole world.

16. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I just received my Franks brush yesterday. Well I just came home to it yesterday. I'll post pictures of the box, stand, and brush I received later today when I have more time. The box my brush came in was not the cheap white one pictured above, it was a black box, sturdier paper/cardboard material. It has the label on top. So nice little custom box, no complaints, get the job done, can be used to store it or carry it around as needed.
    The stand does look like the same stand pictured above, off white color, nothing fancy, no logo. Just a plastic brush stand. Nicer than the cheap one that comes with Vie Long brushes.
    The brush seems of good quality to me. Not smelly, maybe shed 1 hair. Only time will tell I guess, but I am very pleased with this purchase.

17. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

which one did you get JRod? I have their version of the Chubby 2 coming,.....fingers crossed.....

18. Doryferon

Nice,enjoy it !
    From Ian Tang or other distributor ?

19. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Here are some pictures. I got a 22mm finest badger knot set at a 45mm loft in a faux ivory handle.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

KLF, maltedmilk and Doryferon like this.
  20. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Just went back to check what dealer I bought it from. Name was shencheng1954. So I did not buy directly from Ian. I guess I didn't realize how many other people were selling his brushes until now. Either way, looks like I got a good brush, no complaints as of now. The guy I bought it from does have a lot of variety for sale and has only positive feedback.