Frankenrazor Fridays (or any day you wish).............

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by jimjo1031, Dec 3, 2021.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Conrad/Barbasol w/DIY Handle Razor
    Gillette Platinum Blade
    Rubberset #3 Boar (restored) Brush
    WSP Formula T Sandalwood Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Aqua Velva Musk After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Hembree, Ron R, jmudrick and 2 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

Gillette W W II Gold Tech w/DIY Handle Razor
    Gillette Platinum Blade
    FS Extra Dense Two Band Badger Brush
    Monroe Shaving Holly Boggin Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Old Spice Shulton After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Hembree, Ron R and brit like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Wednesday OCtober 12th 2022

Razor : TARMAX DE adjustable proto type by @twhite - excellent all range razor, it is a smooth shaver with excellent results for myself and I use a modified Micromatic handle with it recently. I like to tinker a little with this proto type also. Won this interesting adjustable in a raffle on this forum. Very enjoyable shave this morning!
    Blade : Wilkinson sword saloon(2) sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Made in India.
    Soap : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore[​IMG], nice mild Vanilla with light Tabaco scent.
    Brush : Yaqi Cola 22 mm Plissoft synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG(8) + ATG(8) + pickups(10 setting).
    Post shave : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my TARMAX adjustable by Tom White with a Wilkinson sword blade.
    SOTD October 12 2022.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    Hembree, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Saturday, OCtober 15 2022

Razor : Gillette old type open comb + tech fat handle, Mfg 1920's, upper mild to tame mid range, this razor was bought in a lot purchase on the big Auction house and was owned by a person who was frugal or a poor person because it came with a ball end handle that was split and was wedged with paper to keep it usable and was used a lot to wear the nickel plating on top cap. How he shaved with it took a lot of skill because you had to pinch and pull at the same time to make a pass or the handle fell off. I added the tech handle to enjoy this interesting razor head.
    I like to use it once in a while to be grateful for having a few things in life that some folks just can not afford and it will not be sold as long as I'm around as a reminder of my blessings.
    Blade : Gillette Wilkinson sword saloon(4), sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Made in India.
    Soap : Mitchell's wool fat hard soap, nice very mild clean soap scent with excellent lather qualities. I bought this soap thinking it would be a challenge to lather with and I had no issues using my method. All I did as cut a few fine slivers off with my pocket knife into my shave bowl and pressed into bottom of my bowl, wet my brush and squeezed out most water (2 good brush flicks will work also) and started to lather until a paste started and added some spray mist(hand drops of water equivalent) and just stirred some more and added a few drops more ......... until it was time to shave 1-2 minutes later of getting it ready. Secret is just don't add a lot of water at first and this soap is wonderful and a classic great soap formula that has been around since some of the first safety razors where developed in 1890's. Very nice soap IMO.
    Brush : Yaqi Rainbow 26mm brown whiskers, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Razorock Irish spring AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gillette old type with a Gillette Wilkinson sword blade.
    SOTD October 15 2022.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, OCtober 18th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Beast #2-Concockted 2022>, upper mid range. my concoction of different Yaqi head parts(Flipside Dual base plate + mellon top cap) to makes a aggressive upper mid range, great audio feedback(sizzling sound), no blade over hang on bottom plate like Beast #1 makes for no nicking ear lopes. The razor is more aggressive on the safety bar side than the open comb side slightly. Nice close shave with do real drama. Light touch with steep angle works for myself. I like OC on the chin area for great results.
    Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP black(1) sharp & Smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top 5 tier blades for myself.
    Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi "black marble" 24mm silvertip, this brush has the largest bloom of any brush I own and very pleasurable to use, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Bit of a lather hog but enjoy using it & observing this bloom it gives[​IMG]. Still easy to get under the nose area using the edges of the brush.
    Post shave : Razorock XXX aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 small chin blemish weeper=[​IMG] excellent shave with my Yaqi Beast #2 with a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
    SOTD October 18 2022.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Hembree, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Trick or Treet week, Daily Double, OCtober 24th 2022.

Razor : Gillette New long comb(Canadian variant) with a Yaqi orange brass chromed handle I won in a sale raffle, Mfg 1930's when Gillette's new blade design was introduced, mid range, works ok with no drama. This type of carbon blade was used when the first New Gillette razors where first introduced. Worked OK with no drama.
    Razor: Gem Micromatic OC button less- Mfg 1930-32 for this model, upper mid range, built to last, mainly used today for my touch ups to see how my 1st experience with a carbon blade would be like. Very enjoyable different shave experience today.
    Blade : Treet carbon blade(1) 1st use of a DE carbon blade in 5 years of shaving, sharp & smooth. Not sure on longevity yet.
    Treet was part of the umbrella of companies that was part of the American Safety Razor Corporation and was sold off many years later because of market blade changes in the Western world.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE, very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
    Soap : Speick stick- nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities. I like this soap slightly better than my Tabac soap . Great enjoyable thick rich excellent lather protection.
    Brush : Yaqi "Red Zebra" 26mm snow leopard synthetic knot [​IMG], excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG(carbon) + ATG(carbon) + pickups (Gem Stainless).
    Post shave : Razorock King Louis AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gillette New long comb + MMOC with a carbon Treet blade + a coated Gem blade.
    SOTD October 24 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Sunday Schick Shave, November 13th, 2022, experimenting with a DE blade, Subie shaves double stack blade hack.

Razor : Schick injector E2 type, Canadian variant- MFG in the 1930's- 40's, Mid range, light weight 1OZ, well built to last with some care, one of my favorite injectors & a joy to use.
    Blade : Personna red DE (4) sharp & smooth with great longevity, experimenting with a double stack blade modified to fit the E2 injector. It can be done with reasonble success if a person is willing to take effort and care needed to not get cut. I use 2 small strips of electric tape & then place the blade on the sticky part + then fold the edges of tape over the cutting edges and trim away. The blade will curve slightly from the scissor cutting and then stack the blades together and place in the injector with care. Not sure it is worth the effort but I do enjoy challenges. This is much better & safer than using 1 half blade because it is to flexiable but with 2 blade half's you are getting very close to the thickness of a injector blade. The shave was close and comfortable and do-able but not sure it is worth the risk of cutting yourself. Take care if attempting!
    Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea", nice unique bright sharp cleanish scent with excellent lather qualities. This soap is very addictive with matching aftershave splash IMO.
    Brush : Yaqi "Artic sky" 24mm silvertip badger (3band) excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
    Post shave : Razorock "The Dead Sea" with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my Schick E2 injector with a Subie double stack DE blade hack. The Schick E2 with modified swivel works really well with this double stack set up but still needed care because of slight bending of blades to close up.
    YY Stubie stack 2 DE blades..jpg

(old archived photo's of my modified Schick E2 type for loading a injector blade manually.)
    Schick swivel 2.jpg Schick swivel1.jpg
    Todays shave
    SOTD November 13 2022.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Enrico, Hembree, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  8. jimjo1031

Gillette Old Type w/Scotch & Stowe Handle Razor
    Bolzano Superinox Blade
    Surrey Boar w/Navy Brass Handle Brush
    Stirling Bonaparte Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Stirling Bonaparte After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Hembree and brit like this.
  9. jimjo1031

Gillette WW II Gold Tech w/DIY Handle Razor
    Personna 74 Tungsten Blade (#3)
    FS Extra Dense Two Band Badger Brush
    Vintage Avon Cream Shave Soap w/M-Bomb
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue After Shave

Untitled.jpg

10. jimjo1031

Gillette Old Type OC w/DIY Handle Razor
    Personna 74 Tungsten Blade (#9)
    Wontshed #3 Boar (restored) Brush
    Mama Bear's Obsessed Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Obsession Eau De Toilette

Untitled.jpg

brit and Hembree like this.
  11. jimjo1031

Clix E-Z-Flo 500 w/Custom Handle Razor
    Personna 74 Tungsten Blade (17)
    JR #213 w/Cashmere Knot Brush
    Dr Jon's Savannah Sunrise Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Stirling Peach After Shave Splash

Untitled.jpg

12. jimjo1031

Gillette WW II Gold Tech w/DIY Handle Razor
    Personna 74 Tungsten Blade (23)
    Surrey Boar Brush
    Speick w/M-Bomb Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Speick w/M-Bomb After Shave

Untitled.jpg

13. jimjo1031

Clix E-Z-Flo 500 w/Heavy Handle Razor
    Personna 74 Tungsten Blade (31)
    Rubberset #3 Boar (restored) Brush
    Love My Skin Sailor's Spice Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Shulton Old Spice After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Ron R, Hembree and brit like this.
  14. jimjo1031

Schick E3 (modified) Razor
    Personna PTFE Blade
    Frank Shaving Boar Brush
    Dr. Jon's Savannah Sunrise Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Stirling Peach After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Jayaruh, brit and Hembree like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jim.with schick's history the handle really fits well.;):eatdrink047:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

Thank you Gary

brit likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

Gillette British FB Tech/AoS Handle Razor
    Gillette Platinum Blade
    Rubberset 200-2 Boar (restored) Brush
    Jeeves Of Hudson St. Cherry Blossom Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent