Frederick Fenney 'Tally Ho' 8/8

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by HolyRollah, Dec 13, 2015.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thank you.
    I was telling my wife yesterday what a good thing it is when I don't have to fight with a razor every step of the way.
    Sometimes things just come together without a struggle. Putting this razor together was one of those times.
    It wasn't entirely without a few 'hitches'—horn scales tend to be prone to warping.
    This set required a few 'par-boiling & clamping' episodes to convince the halves to lay straight.
    What this entails is drop each half (or both) into a pot of boiling water and let them soften. Time varies but I found most only take about a minute or so.
    If you 'cook 'em' too long, bad things can happen as they begin to melt! Here's a failed set of horn scales that cooked too long…
    [​IMG]

Once the set is pulled, I clamp them flat between parchment paper and two flat metal plates held in place with C-clamps. Let them cool and harden.
    Most times, a single process is all that is required and the set is now perfectly felt and straight. Other times (such as the set for this Tally Ho razor) require a repeat performance.
    Eventually they cooperate.

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

You make me want to try restoring.

Karl G, Drygulch and Kizurra like this.
  3. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Came out gorgeous, still loving that amber wedge.

Karl G likes this.
  4. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Well written I am also a fan of Sheffield steal...hope you get many smooth shaves from that old chunk of steel!

Kizurra and Karl G like this.