From the woodpile

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by stonyloam, Jan 2, 2012.

1. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

Did all of the painting on the lathe. Stripes are tense. Load up the brush, closer ...closer contact, it worked! Dang! Gotta do it again LOL.

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Wow, simply a fantastic job, that brush is beautiful! :happy096:

3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Very nice job, Terry. Great brush! Do post pics after you've used it a couple of times so we can see the bloom.

4. EndlessFields

EndlessFields Member

Those are REALLY nice looking. You might be onto something here.

5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I've made 100's and 100's of arrows all on a cresting lathe. Always used lacquer for striping and cap dips. Now people are using gasket lacquer, it's supposed to dry very quickly but I have no experience with that.

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Great finnish, the paint job is 1st class, nice Idea to copy the old brush;)

7. stonyloam

There it is, finished polished and knot is set. Give it a couple of hours and try it out. Far far from perfect (polishing brings out the flaws), but a great learning experience. I thought about the cresting lacquer, would probably work fine especially with a CA overcoat for protection. Off to the next project! Got to make a brush for a friend that has been using one since before I was born, and I am retired, lots of pressure there LOL! Changed the photo to show the bloom after I used it tonight. Very nice. I liked it every bit as much as my silvertip.
    [​IMG]

8. stonyloam

Got my stuff from TGN this morning so went to work on my next project. 22mm, 57mm grade A silvertip in a nice dark cherry. Time for a shower and try out my new, old school brush.
    [​IMG]

GDCarrington and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. stonyloam

Today's project: Had a old hunk of walnut kicking around the basement for the last 20 years or so, so thought I would try to do something with it. Cut into 4 pieces. The first flew apart on the lathe but the second held together, but got shorter as I went along. Made lots of mistakes but came close to what I wanted, a classic "fat boy" with black badger. Not good enough to give away but will look OK on my shelf. Think I'll do it again in cherry.
    [​IMG]

10. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Very nice, stony. Really like the walnut.

11. stonyloam

Some of my handles, just working through the design stage, having fun. Have the finish down pretty good. Kinda like the "old school", nothing too fancy.

[​IMG]

ObiDon, Dridecker and GDCarrington like this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Terry,

Looking at the brush, it has a down home country vibe. I have seen many handles that had similar color patterns on tools and other implements around farms in the past.
    It looks like it should be at home in a old farm or ranch house.

Great work!

13. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Actually the flaws make that brush if you ask me; nice work!

The walnut brush isn't too bad either, ;)