Frustrated with shaving mustache

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by shavewhat, Aug 23, 2009.

1. shavewhat

shavewhat New Member

I can't seem to get a close enough shave on my mustache. It seems that no matter what i do there is always a slight mustache there which my friends call my mexi-stache. So you can imagine how awesome it looks. Im not sure if all I need is a closer shave or what but it is very embarrassing. Sometimes for important things I resort to tweezers, ouch. I do shave against the grain because it gets a closer shave, but I can't seem to figure out how to make it go away. Has anyone ever had a similar problem and figured out a solution? I can't feel that hairs at all so it is a close shave, just not enough i guess.

2. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Welcome to TSD!
    How long have you been shaving?Maybe what you called agaisnt the grain is not really agaisnt:I mean,you should let your hair growth for a day or two and see in the direction that is growing.Sometimes agaisnt the grain doesnt means to go south to north,but maybe south east to west north(like a diagonal stoke basically).Also if youre new to DE wet shaving it takes a couple weeks to figure out the right cutting angle so dont give up yet and keep shaving man!

3. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

First off, welcome to TSD! Hope you enjoy your stay!

I think that if you're getting a smooth shave and can't feel any whiskers afterwards, you're getting as close as you can. What kind of razor and shave soap/cream are you using (not that it matters much to your questions)?

Some people have kind of large pores and very black, thick hair on their faces. The combination makes for noticable whiskers, even after a close shave. Perhaps a good cold water rinse followed by an astringent (witch hazel) and an aftershave with some methol (Aqua Velva, for instance) might improve things for a while.

I'd guess that others here will have better advice to share with you, but perhaps this is a place to start.

4. shavewhat

shavewhat New Member

I'm just using a Mach 3 with their shaving cream. Ive grown it out to about 1/4" long so I know which way it grows. Ive been shaving for a couple years now, but I really want to figure this out now. I could try going to the improved shaving method but I was hoping that someone else had this problem and might have found a solution.

5. tomholton1234

tomholton1234 Member

make sure to pull your skin as taut as possible. Also try doing a down grain pass, up grain, and then sideways, (but make sure not to cut your lips like I did. most upper lip hair grows out toward your ears. if your using a mach 3, I would use the 3 blade side on the first two passes, and then switch to the "percission trimmer" thing on the back for the sideways pass.

if that doesn't get it close enough, i'd try some wax (i know, i know...) and see if that helps

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den Shavewhat! A great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Be sure to sign up for the August Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!!

While its not required, how about you hop over to the Newbies Section and give yourself a proper introduction thread, I'm sure you'll receive many warm welcomes from the friendly folks of this community.

7. rickboone

rickboone Member

For those little black hairs on your upper lip that just won't shave off...

http://menpen.com/

8. shavewhat

shavewhat New Member

tom, i'm not against waxing but how long do the hairs need to be. Also, what about electrolysis?

9. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I'm the wrong Tom, but will take a stab at this anyway. I've had my eyebrows waxed (once, only once; as a "gift" from my beloved bride). It's not too terrible, but it does sting a bit. :shocked003 Waxing works pretty well for fine hairs, but they thicker the hair, the greater the pain. I'd guess you'd only need about 1/16" of growth for a good waxing, but the longer it is, the more the wax has to grab. It lasts longer than shaving, but again: :shocked003

Electrolysis is much more permanent, so be sure you'll never want a mustache before traveling that path.

10. gone down south

gone down south New Member

What's your prep routine like? Brush and cream/soap, or canned shaving cream? Do you do ONLY against the grain, or do you do multiple thinning passes, working up from WTG to XTG first? Post-shave products?

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Even if you continue with the Mach 3, I'd suggest using better lather (actually lather rather than foam). Depending on your budget you can do anything from the Van Der Hagen kit at most Wal Mart stores for about $10 that comes with brush, lather bowl, and shave soap to a $60-80 brush with a $40 soap in a wooden bowl. Also watch the videos by Mantic on Youtube to see how to properly prepare your beard and make lather. This will soften your beard and mustache more than anything from a can and give a closer shave. Don't know if it will be enough for your problem, but you'll definitely have a closer, more comfortable shave.

My suggestion for most people is to get a good boar brush from Omega (many would also suggest Semogue) and a good soap or lathering cream. The brush will cost $10-20 depending on model.
    Soaps: Van Der Hagen Delux (~$2 local), The Shave Den soap, or Arko Shave Stick
    Cream: C.O. Bigelow from Bath & Body Works (same as Proraso, only if you like menthol), Kiss My Face Moisture Shave (organic/hippy stores), or Taylor of Old Bond Street.

If you have an interest in any of these products, let us know and we can direct you to places to buy them.

12. rickboone

rickboone Member

:happy102

hippy stores....

13. tomholton1234

tomholton1234 Member

to be honest I never waxed anything before, so I couldn't tell you.

and lmao at the "Man Pen", but i might have to order one sometime just for fun!

14. rickboone

rickboone Member

I would, if I knew what color to get. Not sure when I'd ever use it. Other than just to say I had one. Wait...that's not something you'd brag about....

Uhhh...nevermind, you go ahead and get one.

Let us all know how it works out for you.

I have waxed before. I do it on a regular basis.

15. We all do...........

16. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I'm a little lost, are we talking about moustache wax (as in handlebar moustache) or waxing your upper lip (a la Fourty Year-Old Virgin)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T2n_n9H67g[IMG]

There's a "behind the scene's version of this on You Tube that actually shows them filming this scene. I near peed my pants watching this thing but the language was a bit too colorful