FS: mint Wilkinson Sticky w/case and instructions

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by MTgrayling, Apr 25, 2009.

1. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Up for your consideration is a mint Wilkinson Sticky with case, instructions, the outer cardboard shipper and a sealed 5 pack of blades. This razor shows no outward signs of use, but the "n" is rubbed off the bottom of the knob from case wear and the shipper does have doodles on one side (thanks whomever you are) and aside from a scuff on the case, it too is in amazing condition. The "Sticky" is one of the few safety razors where the doors cover the ends of the blade which is important to some.

This razor was mostly likely NOS when I received it, but my curiosity got the best of me and I did take it for a spin four times, the handle material is strangely sticky when wet and I would rate the shaves on the agressive side of the scale. $325.00, which according to this 2+ year old thread would not be far out of line: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14172&highlight=sticky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

email me at the address below

2. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Really nice item Chris. I love the 'rear door' for the blades on the case - cool! I don't know much about these and hope you don't mind answering a couple of questions.

What is the approximate age of this razor?

Why called Sticky? (Is that just a nickname? Is the handle rubbery all the way to the bottom of the blade case or is the bottom part?)

ty

3. rainman

rainman New Member

Nice looking razor and case.

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Not at all.

From what I can tell these were made for a few years at some point in the late 60's and early 70's.

These were officially named, somewhat blandly IMO, "the Wilkinson Sword razor" and are nicknamed Sticky's because of the odd handle material that feels smooth when dry and gets sticky when wet. It is a strange polymer that isn't rubber or any kind of plastic I'm familiar with. These won awards for the design of the razor as well as the innovative case at the time. Sort of retro futuristic.

Here's a few more shots that may answer the latter part of your question. The handle material forms the body of the razor, but does have a metal blade tray and very high quality plating on the doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alpla444 likes this.
  5. Austin

Austin Member

Nice Sticky Chris. I have owned 2 in the past. These were manufactured around 1968 to 1970. The design won an industrial design award.

6. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Thanx for the info on this very interesting razor. It definately does have some design concepts worthy of merit. Even the head (looking from the top in the photo you took Chris) has a very pleasing look to it. All in all a really great item.

thnx!

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I have one and, TBH, have a love / hate relationship with it.
    Its very unique and I find the razor to be on the mild side............but thats just me..........thing is, I always get a great shave with it.

Great razor ya got there and good luck with the sale.

(I wont charge anything for the bump ;)

8. blackstangal

blackstangal Member

Beautiful razor!Way out of my price range.I am not saying you wont get what your asking,but I cant afford it.:D GOOD LUCK!;)

9. rcd213

rcd213 New Member

Out of curiosity, why is this razor so expensive? Is it because it is quite rare? Seems like an excellent razor, however well out of my price range.

10. Austin

Austin Member

They are quite rare. It's even more rare to find a nice one with the case.

11. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

And with this one, the shipper box is signed!! :happy102

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Rarity + completeness + condition.

13. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I would still be willing to take this out of my display and post via insured priority mail to USA or Canada for the price asked. International shipping would be a bit more.

14. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Good luck with the sale.

15. Teiste

Teiste New Member

My friend Nunp got one today for 1 euro in PortugaƱ.I hope that he can post the pics that he sent me,if not I will post them for him.All that I can say that maybe thats the most beautiful razor ever made.