Fun in the snow

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by JoeMal, Feb 2, 2011.

1. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Meet Roc, my American Bulldog. He will be 3 in July. I took him out to play in the snow this morning...we had a blast.

He loooooves the snow

Attached Files:

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

That is a fine looking dog!

I can't say the same about the snow...

3. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Thanks! He's definitely a looker...we get comments about him all the time. People always think he's a Boxer because most are unfamiliar with the American Bulldog breed...most just know the English and French variations.

4. stingraysrock

They at one time, and I suppose still are, very highly regarded dogs, especially on farms and protecting families, great with kids. I had two a long time ago.

5. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

That's awesome! Yes, he's a great guard dog but yet still very friendly. He knows when to speak up but also when there's no need to act tough. I couldn't ask for a more well rounded dog...he's near perfect for the wife and I.

And from what I have read about their history, you are correct. They originated as farm-protecting dogs and also were used to herd bulls since they were a bigger, stronger dog than typical herding breeds. They were also used to hunt mid-sized animals like wild pigs and boar.

I would recommend an American Bully to anyone looking for a strong and brave guard dog that also makes a great house pet and is great with kids

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great pics!

We have the snow. Just need a dog.
    We'll have to wait until my wife or I are not working full time. I'm not one that believes in keeping a dog in a cage while we're out at work. Doesn't seem fair for the dog, so we'll wait.

7. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Beautiful animal. American and English bulldogs look very similar except for size. French bulldogs look like bats to me. Very ugly and not worthy of the name bulldog :D

8. stingraysrock

Also of note, Roc has the ears he was born with. I am not a fan of ear chopping.

9. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Yes, he sure does. Cropping isn't the 'norm' with this breed as it is with Dobermans/Boxers/etc. Some do it for the 'cool' factor, but we like him just the way he is

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

:sihns011

Just got in from playing in the snow with my own dog.... They certainly enjoy it... to bad my daughter doesn't care anything for it.

11. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

Fine looking dog, You can keep the snow.

12. stingraysrock

Thank Joe! Now I am thinking about befriending a dog again!

I am trying to get away from pets... but they keep finding me!..

Roc has got to be a kick a$$ friend!

13. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Hey my dog looks like that. except mine is Brown, with a white patch on his chest and feet. I always thought mine was like a pit bull mix. I guess hes an American Bulldog. I still think he may be part pit though. His name is Gordo

I also have a Miniature Pincher. I found her one day running across the highway. I put an ad on the paper nobody claimed her so I kept her.
    Dogs are pretty cool.

Wikipedia - I guess mine is a standard American Bull Dog. just like yours not a pit mix. Cool

14. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

If you used to be an owner of 2 American Bulldogs, you know what kind of dogs they can be.

Like I said earlier, Roc is near perfect for us. We got him when he was 14 weeks old, so we had the chance to mold him into the dog he is today. He's got so much character, spirit, and intelligence, he's like a four-legged human running around the house.

I can give you my breeders website/phone number if you feel like making the trek up here to Illinois to get a puppy! They also ship puppies...but I'm not sure that experience is very good for the soul...

15. stingraysrock

Found dogs are great dogs. One of the best dogs I ever was friends with was an American Bulldog. She was a pup, running around in a parking lot of the Motel 6 in Amarillo Texas. The door to the motel room got opened, and Tara ran into my life. She looked just like Roc.

Best. Dog. Ever.

16. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I know what you mean. I have had 3 dogs my first dog was a gift from my aunt. He was a Lab Golden mix. He passed away like 4 years ago. He was very old I had him for a long time

Then Gordo, My wife was walking out of the grocery store one day and someone had him and was giving him away. she fell in love with him. hes loyal to her.

Then there's Kitty. My Miniature Pincher. I found her so for some reason she seems to always run to me first.

They are all great

17. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

Beautiful looking dog! I've got a Rottweiler/shepherd cross, Roxy she's 4 now. She absolutely loves the snow! I've got to be careful with her sometimes as she'll chase her soccer ball around until her paws freeze and she can hardly walk and be happier than happy. She also loves to chase the spray of snow from the snow blower when I'm clearing the driveway.

18. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Thanks! Roc has that problem too...sometimes he just doesn't know when to quit. That goes for any type of strenuous activity...even when it's nice outside and he's playing in the yard, he will play until he nearly passes out. Sometimes we (humans) have to step in and make him come inside before he hurts himself haha

19. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

Haha but it's hard, they give you that "what really? your such a wuss, and I'm enjoying myself" look.

20. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 There was always a dog or two in the house growing up, but like Steve says a cage is no place for a dog 12+ hours at a time, hence the small critters that have taken over the household. :)