Funny things you admitted doing, that backfired.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Jul 5, 2020.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This is a thread about silly, stupid, or funny things you admit(or not), to doing, that backfired on you.

Ok, I will start.

Not long ago, i learned a valuable lesson about handling peppers. I picked up a large bag of Jalapeno Peppers, so I could make and freeze a large batch of bacon wrapped Pepper Poppers. Well, I cut them up, and took out the seeds, without gloves. I took care to wash my hands after, so I thought.
    Not long after I had to go to the bathroom, to relieve myself. Wow, the burning pain. The oils apparently werent all washed off, so rushing to the shower to scrub with soap, helped some. Well, during the rinse off, I washed my face. Not a good thing. The wife and child got a good laugh out of it.
    I now religiously use rubber gloves, when handling any hot peppers.

Frijolero, PanChango and John Beeman like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I take the opposite approach when dealing with hot peppers. I just immediately touch one and then rub my eyes. It just gets the inevitable over with faster. :eek: As far as your particular application of the capsaicin molecule, I've so far avoided that particular .... erm ... issue.

But, my knuckles are recently telling the story of a few lost battles with a box grater because I'm too stubborn to buy the (rather inexpensive) grater-proof gloves that you can get.

Frijolero, DaltonGang and PanChango like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Oil helps dissolve the chili oil. Take a little cooking oil and rub your hands, then wash them using detergent. It helps.

Years ago while working in a Cuban restaurant, I had to clean cases habanero peppers. I wore gloves and washed my hands multiple times. One time about 3 hours after I was done with them, I had to go to the bathroom and had a pretty severe burning sensation. It was not pleasant. One of the cooks there gave me the tip and I have been using it anytime I deal with hot peppers.

Frijolero, DaltonGang and richgem like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I will definitely file this tip. Thank you

PanChango likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Good tip, thanks.

PanChango likes this.