Gas Lanterns, Stoves and Etcetera

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Enrico, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well, I really enjoy the outdoors and and mechanical items engineered to work for a life time. That's why recently I've been really looking into a Coleman lantern like the one my father had. About ten years ago I picked up a propane Coleman and it works very well, but I know it's not built for the long haul. So I've been looking into a vintage lantern and I was wondering what gems you may have and your thoughts on your favorites in the lanterns

DaltonGang likes this.
  2. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I don't know about the newer ones, but I have two Coleman propane lanterns each over twenty years old and still going strong... They seem like long haulers to me!

Enrico likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I still have my Coleman Kerosene lantern, that I bought 25 years ago. I use it rarely, but when I do, it is always interesting. Trying to start it, without losing the hair on your hands, or without blowing yourself up is always fun. The noise it puts out is deafening, and wards off all nighttime predators. Plus, the heat it puts out can strip the skin off your hand or arm, if you are careless. Oh, lets not forget the fragile mantels. You always need to keep spares.
    All and all, I wouldn't trade it for any of the new fangled battery powered ones out there. Nostalgia, plain and simple.

Enrico and Jim99 like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I don’t have a kerosene lantern any more. It was actually my father’s and it was tossed out at some point. I have a Coleman propane lantern now that I’ve been using for close to twenty years and it works great. I’ve replaced the mantles several times, but I️ look at them as consumables. This lantern got me through camping trips, two hurricanes and many summer nights out on the deck. It’s not nostalgic, but it’s simple to use and durable.

Enrico and dustmite like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I-don’t think the longevity on the propane is any less. In fact the propane is pretty zero maintenance compared to the generator on the kerosene that needs to be oiled, or periodically replaced. The glass and mantles are the same. The only disadvantage to the propane is carrying/disposing of the propane cylinders. I have both, and ultimately use the propane more often. The other one I have is a dual fuel that runs from kerosene or gas. It seems more temperamental on gasoline.

Enrico, DaltonGang and dustmite like this.
  6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I remember my uncle using an old Coleman lantern about 30 years ago. He was having trouble getting it to stay lit. He ended up setting a camp ground picnic table on fire and scorching the side of his pop-up camper... Yeah, I much prefer the propane!

7. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a real antique seek out some of the dedicated Coleman lantern forums and talk to those guys. There are people out there that will buy old lanterns and completely rebuild them to new and sell them as a labor of love. You will also learn a lot on maintaining the pressure valve and other parts. I have my dad’s white gas lantern and a stove that are both about 50-60 years old. They still work and the stove cooks well. You have to keep an eye on the second burner of the stove or you can flood it with liquid gas and set the stove on fire.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Enrico likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Like many things maintenance is the key. You wouldn't grab a straight razor and try to shave with it (if its sat around in questionable circumstances) then complain that it gave you a lousy shave.

Wether it's a gun, truck or a Coleman lantern maintenance is important.

I'm not saying my propane doesn't work well, but I like to be able to service things if they fail. The propane lanterns are are designed to be tossed when they fail.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  9. DaltonGang

This thread got me interested in my Old Lantern. I looked on line, and WOW, those things are expensive now. Well, I took it out of the plastic Coleman Case it came with, after I found it in the corner of my garage. Out of the case, it looked like it was brand new. It's a Coleman Duel Fuel. It still had kerosene in it, and the mantels looked great. So, about 20-30 pumps, and it fired right up, easily. Yep, still noisy, but still works great. The new dog I have wasn't happy with it. But, it did light up the back yard, and it did keep me warm, while holding it. It's a keeper. :D

Jim99 and Enrico like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Glad to hear it! :signs107:

Anything like this?
    [​IMG]

Jim99 and DaltonGang like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Exactly like that.

Enrico likes this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but we still have a couple of German storm lanterns which runs on regular lamp oil or "petroleum". Such a lamp is indestructible, and always works reliably, even in wet weather. They only do not give as much light as a propane lamp. A quick Google search tells me that "Feuerhand" in Germany still makes them.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Jim99 and Enrico like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

[​IMG]

I had forgotten I had purchased a couple of these when my boys were small. They are very dependable and work well, but as you said don't make as much light as a Coleman mantel (kerosene or white gas) pressurized lantern. I've been eying of a couple that are on Craig's list; not terrible on the price, but waiting till I have a new position before making any extraneous purchases.

Jim99 likes this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have a Coleman lantern that runs on white gas. I installed a stainless shield that reflects the light in one direction.Its the best thing out there for tracking deer after dark.

mikewood, Jim99, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

To The OP; Thank You!

I had forgotten the smell of the white gas lantern that Gramps had, until now. Plus the hiss... But that smell... Yaaaaasssss!

mikewood, Jim99, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I may break down and pick one up over the weekend from 1974 ... not super old but the price is right.

Spyder likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The hiss of a Coleman lantern was the soundtrack of many a summer evening in rural Georgia. My grandfather would hang one over the dock on the lake after sunset. Us grandkids would fish minnows under floats for crappie...such good memories. And mosquito bites....but you know, when you're a kid....

Enrico, Spyder and Jim99 like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

As a boy my older brothers and I, would take some five gallon bucket, a couple nets and a Coleman lantern to fish for smelt. I have a lot of fond memories of smelting in the finger lakes of NY and the hiss and smell of the Coleman lantern alway brings me back. :)

Boy, now I'm missing the taste of my mothers battered smelt with fried sliced potatoes.:eatdrink020:

Spyder and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

My experience is that the Coleman lanterns and stoves are like my F150 - Built Ford tough. I have had the same stove and lantern for years and they work fine.

Spyder, Enrico and DaltonGang like this.
  20. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

And the hiss. They need to make a white noise generator that sounds like a Coleman lantern.

Spyder, Bama Samurai and Enrico like this.