Gelf Lover's journey into straight shaving

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Gelf Lover, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

I did some more research on stropping and it looks like a paddle strop will be much more comfortable for me. I still want to try a regular strop first though just to see if I can use one but I'm considering ordering a paddle at the same time I order my razor. Also what about a loom strop? Are there any ones or shops that you would recommend that I look at for one as they don't seem to be as popular.

I also noticed that loom/paddle strops seem to be shorter then normal strops. How does the length of the strop play into stropping. Do you have to adjust how much you strop or does it not perform as well?

I feel bad...I have so many questions and I just don't have as much time to research online as I used too. :(

Thanks for the input. I started looking over at SRP and noticed that he does a really good job at restoring razors and started to be more comfortable with his starter set. Getting your input sets me at total ease with napping his set.

2. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I use a big spring clamp to secure the paddle strop to the table at an angle in front of me. I have both hands free to keep the razor in control with. It's not how much you strop, but how effective you strop that matters. I've learned to strop with either hand and that helps the issue of my wrist giving it up. You need to strop at a quick enough speed to be able to do any good. The shorter length doesn't seem an issue that I've noticed. My arms are shorter than most of the guys I'm sure and trying to strop the full length of a hanging strop would just be awkward and I stand a good chance of losing control of the razor doing it. The last thing you want is to lose control of the razor and damage it, or yourself. Start with the strop in your set and see how that goes. I've seen some beautiful hanging strops that the actual stropping area is not much longer than the stropping area on my paddle. I've never seen a loom strop. Somehow, I think it'll come together for you :)

3. MsBlackwolf

+1
    I have talked to other newbies and he provides an affordable and decent setup!

4. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Well after a very angering indecent that happened with an evil-bay auction yesterday I've been looking elsewhere to find a "barber's hone" or equivalent. So far my choices are:

Yellow Coticule - $58.85 plus shipping
    Naniwa Super Stone 12,000 Grit - $73.99 plus shipping
    Norton Combination 4000/8000 Grit - $73.99 plus shipping
    Chinese 12000+ - $19.99 plus shipping

I'm trying to not break the bank, but also I have no idea on how any of these perform. Also if I got one of these, is there some thing else that I need to get as well to use them?

*grumble* *grumble* it would have been nicer to get the ebay one for $30 *grumble* *grumble*

5. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Well I got my straight and strop today. Of course I waited to shave until the mail came today. I was going to start by just shaving under my side burns but I did pretty well (or so I thought) so I continued and did a full single pass with my straight doing my normal WTG/XTG combination. Other then a cut under my nose and a nick on my neck it was a horrible job. I know that technique was most of the problem. But hey, it was my first time. So I rinsed my face, relathered and grabbed my fat handled tech and did a 2nd pass and had I nice shave. I felt that it wasn't a bad job for a first time. I'm pretty sure that I wasn't holding the razor near 30 degrees like I had read. It was maybe 20 degrees. Also I wasn't sure if I was suppose to hone it before I shaved. The blade seemed kinda rough compared to the 7 O'clock in the tech. Are you suppose to strop before you shave or after or both?

I will say that I can see how easy it is to shave with a straight, but also how easy it is to hurt yourself with it. The nick under my nose was from trying to shave my lip the hard way. So I tried another technique and did much better on the other side of my lip.

Does this mean I need to start my own "journey" thread to ask all of my noob questions now?

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

You ordered the kenrup set, right? I'd double check with him as to if it's sent out truly shave ready (pre-honed from a honemeister, not at the factory). It may need to be sent off to a honemeister. The stropping doesn't have to be done immediately before shaving....in fact, I thought you were going to break it up into sessions. Keep in mind that a straight razor edge is going to feel different from a DE razor blade - they're different shapes, bevels, etc... In general though, the straight razor can feel ...rougher?... than a DE blade initially. After some time though, now I think it's smoother....weird.

Feel free to start your own online journal - it's interesting reading for us and other newbies interested in starting down the straight razor path. Plus it will help you keep track of what works and what doesn't. I wish I had done one...

7. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

It looks like he did hone it, it also had some paste still on the shank. After I did the stropping that I did I tried the HHT and couldn't get the hair to pop. But I'm not sure I did it right either. But I'll give everything another try tomorrow. But it wasn't a bad experience though. I did suffer a few cuts but it was still very mild. I'll try to increase the angle the next time and see if that improves things.

8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I've never tried the HHT personally. I just try to shave with them... Be careful stropping so that you don't roll the edge. For the first shave then, you may not have wanted to strop first. Something to keep in mind when your 2nd (and 3rd, and 4th....) straights come back from the honemeister... :D Anywhere from the 20°-30° angle should do you OK...I think the biggest thing is learning it all at once - the angle, the pressure (absolutely no pressure) and the motion. When I finally realized how it all finally works together - it's just something you have to 'get'.... I don't think it can be explained. Don't shave with it tomorrow....go every other day, and in all honesty - even though it felt OK to you, I'd just stick with WTG for a while. I did it the same way - my first shave (IIRC - I'll need to double check the thread) I think I went further than I should have because I thought it felt easier than I anticipated...

EDIT: OK...apparently I was off base a little....here's the thread if you're interested.... and here's the thread about my 2nd shave with the straight........ boy have I come a long way!

9. MsBlackwolf

IMHO. the HHT really doesn't indicate a blade is sharp or smooth enough to actually shave with. I also have the opinion that the HHT would dull an edge as you are cutting unprepared, dry hair with dirt and oils. Just my 2 cents, back to the regularly scheduled activities right after this message from Oxi Clean.

10. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Matt, Thank you so much for your links. It makes me feel much better about how my first shave went...and how it oddly mimicked yours. I'm sure that my angle and technique are horrible and that is the reason for all of the tugging and remaining stubble.

My shaving pattern that works for me (cartridge or d/e) is to shave down my face (a mixture of WTG and XTG)and if I want closer to shave up and across my cheek bone. But with my 7 O'Clock blades I rarely need to do the second part. When I went back to my tech to finish and clean-up, I just redid the downward pass, just to keep it simple and it was a DFS. I will follow your advice and only use the straight for a while every other day since I'm sure that I'm cutting myself more then I realize.

Stropping is very difficult for me right now but not impossible and my motivation for shaving with a straight is much better after my first shave with it too. Right now I'm looking for a place that I can secure a hook lower on the wall to see if that will make it a little easier for me. If not I may be looking for a paddle strop.

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

How about door knob height? Can you somehow loop some string or twine through the end of the strop and secure it to a door knob? Just make sure the door is closed. My TM practice strop had a loop of something (like a round shoe lace or string of leather) with a slide knob on it for this purpose. For me it's a good height...

Glad the links helped you out... :happy088

12. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

I tried on a door knob but I am thinking that if I can sit it will transfer some off the muscle use from my hand and arm to my body. I think I'll try the front door knob and use a kitchen chair and see how that does. Also I may just need to do it for a while to rebuild my strength and endurance in my arm and hand. We will see in time, I'm in no rush and it's enjoyable to me. I like the idea of shaving in a classic style.

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Bram... I am too much of a straight noob to have any advice, but I am glad to see you sticking with it and figuring it all out. Bravo!

14. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Your straight journal has actually helped a lot. So don't feel bad at all.

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Thanks, I am glad that it was helpful. I know that olafurson's helped me quite a bit.

16. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Reading your journal was what put me over the edge on wanting to use a straight. Matt and Pam have also helped me out a lot. But all of the help that I got when I started wet shaving has set a good base for starting my journey with a straight. I can tell this morning that I got cut up pretty good with my first try. But it is sooo worth it.

17. MsJoeD

MsJoeD New Member

You can try laying the strop flat on a table or counter top if that is easier for you

18. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Got more details from the wife today about the straights that are on the way. She said that they could only find 3 of them and the collection had been thinned by family and sold on evil bay. So all of the pretty ones have disappeared. But I was told that they didn't have any rust on them and one of them has wooden scales. Kinda excited to see them. Also my wife wanted to assure me that her family really doesn't care about them at all and to make them my own. Sooooooo, it looks like my straight collection has just gotten bigger.

As for using the strop on a table...do you tie it to one of the legs and then do it? kinda a silly question but I'd rather ask then not know.

19. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

Well I found a comfortable spot to do my stropping but it's a pain to lift the coffee table in order to put the strop on the leg. I'm sure that I can find a fix for that though. Just out of curiosity I tested the razor on the back of my arm. I'm so glad that I did a little test or I wouldn't have any hair left on my arm. It is very sharp.

20. JimR

JimR Active Member

It sounds like you're off to a great start! As for lifting the coffee table...what kind of hanging gear do you have on your strop? Can you affix some kind of detachable ring or hook, so that you don't have to go through that?

Also, be sure to post some pics when you get your razors!