Gelled Boar?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oscar11, Jan 27, 2021.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Anybody using one? I'm curious about them and happen to have a handle that should fit the 26mm knot. Curiosity usually costs me some money. Opinions from any users?

ischiapp likes this.
  2. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

FWIK, It's a Omega 10098 knot (as on WCS) with a chemical treatment.
    That makes sweeter the point, but weaker too.

jtspartan likes this.
  3. oscar11

Thanks.

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

What is the purpose of this treatment?

Enrico likes this.
  5. ischiapp

To have faster what naturally you'll have for more time.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Accelerated break in time. It chemically causes each bristle to split and "flag," much like uncut boar bristle ends, or a very well broken in boar brush.

Sara-s likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

8. oscar11

I couldn't get the stuff locally. None of the beauty shops would sell it to me so I'd have to wait until I could get to a Beauty Supply store a 100 miles away. It was easier to order a knot so that's what I did. I set the 26mm knot @55mm. I had to turn a handle the one I had wasn't proportioned correctly. My first impression of this knot was very negative. When wetted the knot it was extremely slimy, like Northern Pike slimy and wouldn't pick up soap forget being able to make a lather with it. I washed it in Dawn and let it soak in water overnight. I'll state the obvious here and say this process (bleaching) appears to be pretty tough on the knots. I had a lot of shedding. I don't get to concerned with shedding knots especially boars but this seemed excessive. Another thing to note was when I gently towel dried the knot there were many, many bristle tips left on the towel. I can't explain why but I tried lathering the following morning with some MdC and got a good lather, eyeballing the Williams, I gave that a try and it lathered without issue along with Mike's and SV. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the brush. The feel is unique but I can't believe the brush will be long lasting.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    jtspartan and ischiapp like this.
  9. ischiapp

Actually I don't understand this fashon.
    Mother Nature give us some products.
    When I don't like one, I go with synth.
    Easier, cheaper, more efficient.
    And very long lasting ...

10. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I agree. I have eight boars in rotation (6 Omegas, a Stirling and a SOC), and they’re all evolving very nicely through normal use. They each have their own personality, and I enjoy them all. I don’t want to sound like a hippie, but I don’t want to mess with the natural order of things. Many animals have contributed to my brush collection, and I use the natural fibers for what they offer naturally. I also don’t want to shorten their lives. Plus it feels like cheating..........like buying pre-abused jeans rather than new stuff ones.

Enrico, ischiapp and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I gravitate towards wood and metal products in my life over plastic ones, for many of the same reasons. But, I do prefer thermoplastic/resin handles on my shave brushes, because I don't want to worry about the handles splitting. I really should look into teak handles.

Enrico and Latherin’ Luddite like this.