Gem Shaving Questions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MK-ULTRA, Mar 9, 2009.

1. MK-ULTRA

MK-ULTRA New Member

Greetings!

I apologize if this thread has already been covered.

I recently acquired a Gem Micromatic. I picked up some GEM Personna blades today at Walgreen's (had to tear myself away from looking at the MicroForce shaver).

Are these the right blades?

How well do these blades work as compared to other SE blades?

When I get around to trying the Gem, what is recommended?

I think I'm already hip to starting with the head flat against my face.

With a DE, I do 3 different XTGs and either an ATG or blade buffing or both.
    WTG doesn't seem to do much for me with a DE.

What is the recommended pass configuration for a Gem?

Are there techniques similar to j-hooking and blade buffing or aren't they necessary?

Thank you for your help,

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hey ya.. there will be plenty of folks to give advise here before long.

Those are the right blades. Prolly made by ASR like most of them are.
    The MicroMatic does good run close to flat on the face. That is how I do it. I like to do XTG passes for the most part. Be careful with the ATG when starting out. The Micro is a razor that you have to take your time and really pay attention too.Much like a OLD open comb DE or something similar there are several threads from the last few weeks that cover things about the SE.
    http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10045
    http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11071
    http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10216

3. tom myers

tom myers Member

I believe you are describing the "Gem by Personna" stainless, coated blades. These are good blades. There are other good ones too, but I'm not sure you will find any that work better than what you already have. I have found that I also like the Gem Blue Star, carbon steel blades, but I believe the stainless blade holds it's edge a little longer.

Personally, I use a WTG and then a XTG pass with conventional lather and then a cleanup pass after rinsing off the face and splashing on some Alcohol Free Thayers Witchhazel Toner. The Thayers contains some aloe and, while it is wet, provides plenty of lubrication for a touch-up, which includes some XTG, and some ATG strokes depending upon which part of the face and neck needs a little more work.

I realize my routine is a little unorthodox, but with about fifty-five years of experience with safety razors, it's what works best for me. I get great BBS shaves with complete comfort using an old 1900/1901 lather catcher style Gem Jr. Bar Razor and the routine that I've described above. (I just wish I could expect to be working as well as this razor is when I'm 100+ years old. :D )

I personally have not had as good of results with the Micromatics as I have with the 1912's and the 1900/1901's, but some folks find the Micromatics to be their razors of choice. As with many things about shaving, everyone has his own favorite equipment and methods. Good luck on finding your best razor and your favorite routine. With a little time to get acclimated to the razor and technique, I think you'll like the SE shave.

Regards,
    Tom

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Tom that sounds like my routine with whichever SE I use..usually 2 passes with a Witch Hazel touch up. Works great.

5. MK-ULTRA

MK-ULTRA New Member

They are GEM by Personna. The package reads "SUPER STAINLESS STEEL BLADES". Doesn't say anything about coating.

Is there such a thing as j-hooking or blade buffing with a GEM or isn't it necessary. If there is such a thing, are they the same as a DE or totally different?

This could be fun and exciting. However, I could end up cutting the %$#@$% out of my face too.

6. tom myers

tom myers Member

Those are the right blades.

I suppose you could try either tecnique. I did do some blade buffing when I was using a DE, but I've not found it necessary with the SE.

Regards,
    Tom

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I find the micromatic to be more aggressive than a 1912 or most DEs. I prefer the 1912. I do one wtg pass and one xtg pass and am pretty close to bbs. Anything more with the micromatic leaves me feeling pretty raw.

8. tom myers

tom myers Member

That's kind of my experience. I usually lean toward aggressive razors . . . my favorite DE is a red tip Superspeed, but the Micromatic just seems a little harsh for my taste. I can get a super shave from the 1912 or the 1900/1901 razors, so I don't feel the need for anything more aggressive.

Regards,
    Tom

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would agree with that also. With the open comb. The safety bar..like the Clog Pruf are not as aggressive at all. I have never had to J-hook or anything if that nature with a SE.

10. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Other than the blade angle or should I say the way you have the top of the razor positioned with a Single Edge razor vs a Double Edge razor you can do just about any shaving "technique" with the SE that you do with the DE.

I blade buff each day as my touch up oil pass. Have not trouble doing it with a SE or DE. Only thing is you must go slow and light or you are asking for a nick or weeper no matter which style razor you use.