Getting A Better Shave With A Catridge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by chasro, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Ok, time for my M3 report as promised. And as Lee noted, I DID get a close, comfortable shave...I would even say, an excellent shave. And I am NOT lying. I was wrong about the time though...took about 15 minutes, not 10, but that included prep, the shave itself and clean up.

Lathered up with JoAnna's Patchouli/Bay Rum soap blend and my T2. Can't really call it one pass as I started against the grain, repeatedly until smooth (no additional lather, but multiple swipes with the razor). Been doing that with the DE lately too...much faster. The only spot I start with a WTG pass is my upper lip. I found that I didn't have to do that with the M3 - ATG all the way! No irritation and a BBS shave.

And before you start the chorus of, "Yeah, but that was just one shave. Wait til you use it for a while and start getting ingrowns!" Never happen. For years, I used an M3 daily and never had an ingrown.

The only mistake I made was in using Velva as an aftershave. I rarely do that and don't know what possessed me to do it this morning. Ugghh! I had forgotten how foul smelling that stuff was!

By the way, I'm referring only to official Gillette M3 cartridges. Disposables (or Brand-X cartridges) are entirely different animals (monkeys, I think). :) The "only" thing I find wrong with the M3 is that it is a tacky, plastic, squeaky-sounding piece of junk! No style whatsoever! Nice result...lousy experience. So, back to the DE tomorrow.

...maybe.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    At least you smell good today. :)

3. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

:cool::cool:

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

That's true. I showered again AFTER my shave so I could wash it off. VILE stuff!! Spent the day with Floris JF. :cool:

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hahaha, too funny Lee! :rofl:rofl:rofl

I needed a good laugh to start the weekend, Thanks! :cool: :happy005

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Ok, so you smelled so-so today then.

It's been that kind of day anyway. :ashamed001

7. BD1970

BD1970 New Member

I shave with a cartridge quite often, preferrably a Gillette Sensor. Any more blades than that & it feels like the whiskers are being ripped out. But with good prep, brush, & quality soap or cream, I can get a decent shave.

8. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I'll agree with Michael here. I used a Mach3 and canned gel for years and got good enough shaves, they just didn't last long. I'd have a 3 o'clock shadow by noon.

Later, when I discovered DE shvaing I had so much trouble that I went back to the mach3 for a while, but used the new techniques I learned. I used a brush, english cream, and three passes - WTG/XTG/ATG and got good irritation free shaves that lasted the day. It would take the same amount of time as using a DE does now - 10-15 minutes.

9. Purvis

Purvis Well-Known Member

I threw down the M3 after years of using it with canned goo. I finally realized that, for me anyway, that the bumps and breakouts were not going to go away no matter what I did, until of course my switching over to straight razors using proper wet shaving preparation techniques. I do use the DE here and there when my blade begins to dull which strangely enough is the only time I get knicks now.

But we are all different and what works for one does not mean it will work for another.

Sean

10. djwurm

djwurm New Member

i shave with a cartidge and use a really nice brush and nice creams. I do get a little irritation but I can also get a close shave with about 3 passes with with the grain, against the grain, and last for small spots that are not as good as I like.

I think the brush and cream make all the difference in the world. For now I am not ready to give up my nice razor handle my Dad bought me. but I will soon try a DE razor but I am in no hurry

11. Hi there,

You know, I read about the set up your dad got for you, and I'm glad you're taking advantage of it. I completely understand your reluctance to try another type of razor, since I'm that way regarding straights (managed to resist em so far).

Using a nice looking handle with a cartridge is a great way to upgrade the experience, and having that extra weight is a nice feeling. I used an old brass Burma Shave handle with my Sensor, and it actually felt like a real shaving tool. Heh, the normal plastic handles are functional, but very dull.

Good luck on your shaving journey, wherever it takes you,
    Martin

Actually, I've been meaning to mention those razor handles as an option for the various cartridge users. They really did add a good bit more enjoyment to my shave.

12. chasro

chasro Member

I've been using a brush all week. Between that, the better prep and improved technique with the quattro, I'm absolutely amazed at the difference.

I would have never believed it and now I'm quickly a convert. My technique still needs work, but I just now realizing it after using the brush.

So the next thing is to experiment with the razor. I'll try the sensor in a few weeks. Any advantage to getting one of the higher price razors to use a with a cartridge, or are those just more show?

13. apswartz

apswartz New Member

This is how I started - practicing the brush and face prep while still using the Mach3.

If you are currently using the razor given as a gift from your father, why replace it with a more expensive razor for the cartridges? I say go ahead ans splurge on a DE.

14. chasro

chasro Member

I'm just not ready to switch to the DE. So, I'm trying to figure out how to get the most effective shave with a cartridge.

15. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I like the weight of a DE razor. Like Michael points out, it feels more...substantial. I feel like I really have to push the cheap plastic razors to get a good shave, and that is one cause of the irritation. True, just one thing, like switching to the brush and good lather, makes a difference. When I first started using more traditional techniques, I was still using a Sensor but with a brush and good prep, and yes, I could tell a marked difference.

But do find an inexpensive Gillette DE or a lower end Merkur, try it, and see what a difference that can make. If you decide you want to go back to the Sensor, someone will buy that DE off of you and you won't have lost much.

16. Hi there,
    I'm glad your shave's been improved, and this is just the beginning really. Even if you end up never using a DE, the ideas picked up here will always help with whatever you shave with.

I'd hold off on getting an expensive razor handle for the sensor. They're under $5 at walmart, and come with two cartridges I believe. You want the ones WITHOUT the lube strip........just the plain old sensor, and NOT the excel. It will teach you better technique without that silly strip being used as some sorta crutch. See how you like the shave before spending cash on a handle that may only feel better and not improve the shave itself.

Keep in mind it's gonna take you a little while to figure out the sensor technique, and it'll take longer to shave with one.........even when you get good. Same's true with atra and trac2 cartridges........you will need to pay way more attention, since there's less room for errors.

One other thing to consider would be trying an injector. Those are a kick, and in my case gave me excellent shaves. Fun to use, and once mastered it's a LOT easier to migrate to a DE. Least that's how it seemed to me.

Hope that helps somehow,
    Martin

17. chasro

chasro Member

Isn't an inject basically just a blade? If so, I'd probably cut myself left and right...lol

I'll keep trusting my barber with the open blade (I go to a great one in the Chicago Loop area, right at Lake and Wells), but I sure don't trust myself...

18. Hi there,
    I shaved with various injectors for about 6-8 months or so, and found there's a lot to em. Many types (or styles) seemed to shave differently for me, and it was trial and error finding the perfect one for my face. Some are mild by nature, some much more aggressive......that sorta stuff.

Fiinding the right blades was the same thing.......having to try each one myself. You're right about the injector using just a single blade with no lube strips or any other protection, but it's not tough to learn. Seems to me like injectors are similar to a DE in some good ways, but less of a learning curve to it. It does take longer to shave with em, since more attention to detail is needed. It would take me under 3 minutes using a M3, and almost 15 when achieving that wonderful BBS shave the injector gave me. Seriously though, I found the extra time and effort to be rewarding because of the excellent results.

There's a ton of posts about schick injectors on most of the shaving forums if those interest you. Personally, I found them to be a great invention, but there IS some dues paying involved. Hehe, that part of my shaving journey was a rough road in the beginning.

Anyway, there's plenty of other options to try before deciding on using a DE, and some of those options actually can work well.

Hope that helps with any confusion,
    Martin