Getting into fragrances the right way

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Demidog, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

An unexpected consequence of getting into safety razors was that I am now obsessed about scents. I've had only one cologne my entire life, and it was a gift from my family many years ago. I probably only wore it once every few years on average.

After smelling so many incredible shaving soaps and aftershaves, I really want to start exploring colognes a lot more. I was wondering if there were any common pitfalls that I should avoid before committing to something. For example, I recently learned that when trying a new fragrance, it's not enough to just spray it on a piece of paper. Some recommend getting a sample vial and wearing it properly over the course of a few days since scents change over time with the top notes gradually given way to the middle and base notes. I'm also not sure if there is some sort of etiquette when it comes to acquiring samples. Is there a limit on how many I should ask to try and should I avoid asking for samples of very high end fragrances like Aventus?

I also have a list of favorites so if anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears. I've probably only smelled maybe one or two actual colognes so most of the scents with which I'm acquainted come from artisan soaps and aftershaves.

-Stirling Executive Man, based on Aventus
    -TSD Cool Water Type, clearly based on Cool Water although I've never smelled the real thing
    -Charcoal Goods soap, supposedly inspired by L'Artisan Timbuktu
    -Proraso blue, my current favorite but not based on any colognes as far as I'm aware

Thanks for any advice.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Demidog likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My best advice...don't fall down the rabbit hole.
    IMG_9097.jpg

4. Demidog

Thank you very much for this suggestion. Penhaligon's is on my list of perfumers to try and this should be a great way to try everything. Now if only this existed for all of the other scents on my list.
    WOW! I've seen some impressive pictures of shave dens but that is just something else. That looks even more packed than the displays at my local department stores.

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Actually, I would also recommend eBay. Look for cologne lots or sample lots. There are people that sell cologne samples anywhere from 5 types to 100's of types per lot. It will be your cheapest way to explore scents.

As far as recommendations, it is hard to say. Scents are very personal (example: check out the "veg passaround" thread). I suggest thinking of scents you enjoy on a regular basis. You mentioned proraso blue, which is an anise base. That might be something to pursue. Think of things you like, such as citrus, berries, woodsy scents, clean scents, etc. I have included a picture of a "scent wheel" below to guide you.

IMG_20170212_101000.jpg

1) view the scent wheel and get an idea of what you are into
    2) browse Google for "most popular colognes" and "best selling colognes" to get an idea of what is favored by the masses
    3) go to eBay and buy cologne sample lots to see what actually works the best for you

RyX and Demidog like this.
  6. Demidog

Have you ever had issues with receiving fakes on ebay? From what I've read, it sounds like a serious issue when people buy even from mainstream sites like Amazon, albeit from third party sellers. It doesn't seem likely that someone would go through the trouble of creating a fake Penhaligon's scent library for example but when it comes to sellers offering random sample vials, it seems that it would be harder to tell whether or not they're selling the real thing.

7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I go with trusted sellers (ones with a lot of reviews, and a high percentage of positive reviews), sealed vials/containers, and containers that have the makers name on them and/or a scent card.

I would highly doubt it would be worth the trouble to even attempt to make fake scents in vials.
    On the other hand, actual cologne bottles can certainly be faked, and you need to watch out for that...but following the guidelines I wrote above will save you a lot if time and heartache.

If all else fails, you can always go to a department store and sniff test their sampler bottles all you want.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Demidog likes this.
  8. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I didn't know that Musk was so close to wet fur, feces and urine, or as I call them the three least popular shave soap scents. Although right up there with Rotten and Skunk.

dangermouse, Demidog and RyX like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Primo: I'm haveing a hard time locating the Veg..................

John Beeman, Demidog and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Don't rule out Vintage Avon products. Many are in the style of big name products. They can be had for $1 - $5 per bottle full of juice. Check those flea markets & garage sales. The only one I've heard of "turning" is Oland.

Demidog likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    IMG_9097.jpg

John Beeman, RyX and Demidog like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Sure enough! Right in plain site in the original bottle... :happy088:

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    When applying it to your wrists, don't rub your wrists together. The oils from your skin will cover the fragrance oils and mute the fragrance.

Wear the cologne at pulse points, back of the ears, inside of wrists and elbows, etc.

If you want to smell the fragrance as the perfumer intended, spray on a base bodyspray first, to prevent the scent from mingling with your own unique odor. Men's is sandalwood, women's is rose.

Wear a lavender scented cologne when going out to dinner with a lady. The scent of lavender stimulates the appetite.

The above advice was given to me by an old Greek perfumer who was trained in France. He is a 'nose,' and a member of the international perfume council, though he has retired from the day to day operation of his perfume store.

14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I sure wish that full bottles of Dominica Lime Bay Rum were still available! That was my all time favorite!

Demidog and Primotenore like this.
  15. Primotenore

Article Team
    It's a goody no doubt.

Demidog likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Also, if you have a significant other, consider her/his likes & dislikes. While you have to like a scent you wear, if someone close to you hates it, you may be better off without it.

17. Demidog

I remember my parents teaching this to me as a kid but I completely forgot about it until I saw you mention this in another thread. I had been wearing my cologne the wrong way, applying it once I was already fully dressed. I started doing it the right way with the one cologne that I have right now and I'm enjoying the fragrance a little bit more now. I definitely see how it interacts and benefits from direct contact with my skin.

RyX and PLANofMAN like this.
  18. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

That's because the musk gland is located near the rectum.

Demidog likes this.
  19. DBart.

DBart. Active Member

I did not know that. thanks.

Demidog likes this.
  20. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

BASENOTES is THE FORUM for scents. It's format is pretty straightforward; no chance for trolls or getting to know many people though.Read it a while and you learn who's input is helpfull. They have done trades and sales of sample vials in the past. I learned, serendipity a scent YOU aren't all that fond of can just as much be worn for others.
    I bought TOBS # 74 which is a lavender-lilac 'old woman's purse' scent. It also happens to be a direct approximation of the scent ( my memory fails the name) of the AS used by the RN in WW2. I'm wearing it and buying digestives and tea at my local brit import shop. I hear this voice; delicate like a collectable wine well past it's peak but still lovely ' Oh, there you are. I've missed you so much.' This tiny english lady stood there as her family walked up. We made small talk and she seemed so happy. I later learned her husband was RN, served on HMS Rodney when they sank Bismark only to die early postwar in a car accident. She was in the final stages of dementia. I happened to be tall, slender and red haired like him. You simply do not get to receive
    such gifts and I will still use TOBS # 74 for her, now gone.
    Then there were the Santa Cruz earth mothers ( braided armpits, granny gown and birkenstocks) who eschewed bathing for patchouli Oil by the:bath: comercial barrel.:sick007:

Keithmax, RyX, Demidog and 1 other person like this.