Gillette Adjustable Settings... which do you use?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ishouldbeking, Apr 8, 2010.

1. wasson

wasson New Member

3 works best for me.

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0244.JPG
    '71 SA-109 loaded with a Voskhod.
    Shave week Sunday to Friday. Sunday's shave is on a two day growth. First pass WTG on "9". Second pass XTG on cheeks and chin, ATG on the neck on "7". Third pass usually just the neck on "7" XTG.
    Weekday's, 1st pass is "8", 2nd "7" and the neck pass is also "7".
    Sunday is usually BBS.
    Weekday's DFS+ or BBS

3. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I recently got one of these and I'm sure ill get around to using it soon enough but I was curious. My everyday razor is a SS Flare. Where do these compare? Similar at the lowest setting? Similar at a 3?

Im interested in using it but still trying to get technique done and hoping to find a birth year to trade for!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Someone may have the Blade Gap Info, but it's only numbers. What counts is how the razor works for you. Easy to start at setting One using a familiar blade. That's as mild as it adjusts. Either next pass or next shave bump it up! There are similarities between razors made by the same company around the same time. Then there's the years that particular pair of razors has been kicking around. No guarantees the Blade Gap Numbers will equate to same shave quality.
    Personally I started my Fat Boy shaves at Three. Once I felt comfortable and moved it up I settled at five for months. Then seven. Better technique, familiarity with the razor and now I do three passes at nine using most any blade. That's Riding the Cap, and sometimes my alum and aftershave burns if my technique is off. But I do get close shaves with hardly any nicks.

LOOT likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That sounds right to me.

6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'm from the start high and dial it down school. Ride the cap and you should be fine.

7. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Usually 9 but lately I've been using a slim on 7. All great shaves.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thread back from the dead.
    I have used 9, but I find myself usually doing 5-7 on my Gillettes.

9. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I used a 9 to even out my sideburns.

Otherwise on my Slim, 6-7 for the first pass and 4-5 for the second pass. I subtract by one or two with the Fatboy since it feels a little more aggressive. I can't ever go back to a non-adjustable since everything else butchers my sideburns if I haven't had a haircut within the past two days.

10. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

I set my Slim at 3 and normally keep it there. If I do change the setting for the upper lip or lower chin, it is downward to 1-2. I have in the past set the Slim as high as 5 but began to get weepers at this setting.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  11. MaineYooper

MaineYooper Well-Known Member

I typically start at 6 and regress! Otherwise 5 works great for all passes for me!
    20160704_161637.jpg

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I leave it on 7..

13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I use all settings. I'm always experimenting .

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The correct setting is always nine.

Carry on.

twhite and RetLEO-07 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

When I had adj. I usually stayed mid-range but occasionally jumped to 9.

You know what I just realized? I can't recall ever meeting anyone who said 8 was their regular or even occasional setting.

FranklinFurter likes this.
  16. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Good point... I seems like most people either paddle around the shallow end (like me) or jump off the high board.

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Normally 5-7 on all my Gillette adjustables. But higher if I skip a couple of days.

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Setting 3 works for my legs & underarms. It's close without irritation.

19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I tried 9 a few times trying to figure out why some razors make me smoother longer into the day.
    But i reverted back to, 7 and forget it. Just where it feels right to me.
    I haven't discovered the WHY i get great shaves with, say a progress, and it keeps me smooth way into the late afternoon. Whereas a great, say a slim, shave lasts until 1or2 o'clock. The latter felt like a good shave at 7:30.
    Always room to learn I guess.

20. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Not with an adjustable but I have felt this way about different blades in the same razor. While one blade was rougher on my face it seemed to be a much closer shave with longer smoothness while another seemed to be an effortless shave that was easy on my face but stubble/shadow returned much sooner.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk