Gillette ball end, unusually low ser number?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hhhhiii, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Hhhhiii

Hhhhiii New Member

My first post! I have been trying various DE safety razors as I can get a hold of them and recently a friend gave me an old army issue khaki set containing the army issue Gillette ball end razor. The serial number is J 358. That is an unusually low number isn’t it?

The handle has a crack and the case is quite worn and missing one thumb tack, but the razor head looks pretty good. I tried it out and was amazed how mild it is. Efficient, but mild. I had read that the old ball end open comb razors can be agressive and/or tricky to angle correctly but this one seems almost foolproof. I find it very smooth and precise and definitely my favorite razor thus far. Did the army issue ball end razors change any as the production ramped up?

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

brit likes this.
  3. Hhhhiii

Hhhhiii New Member

Here are a few images :)

1D127072-6466-45E0-8469-3A731AE81847.jpeg 61BB7929-2D13-4195-8AAF-0C00AEC29037.jpeg A8FC586C-3857-487D-873D-C44835165735.jpeg

4. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome.. nice razor.. makes it a 1918 very cool.

johnnyflake and RyX like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Can't answer your questions but I have that same razor, minus whatever set it came in, and agree with your findings: it's not particularly aggressive but it is very efficient. Welcome aboard.

brit and RyX like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

7. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

Hello! Very nice razor!