Gillette DE Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Issy, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

What is the difference between the red, blue, and black tips??

Issy

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Somewhere is this thread is an answer. Here About eight posts down.

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You mean this?

4. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

So the adjustable is a better razor and it was just advertizing? Can anyone tell me about the president TSD has on ebay? I dont mind the finish I have the stuff on hand ( if I can find it ) to gold plate it.

Issy

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    The president is essentially a non gold plated aristocrat (pre adjustable model). It's a heavier type gillette.

6. Will

Will Nevermind

Red = Heavy
    Black = Not so heavy
    Blue = Not heavy

Hope this tells ya, I know it dosen't but I tried. ::

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Mine has a silver tip. How does this fit into your designations Mottern Man?

8. Will

Will Nevermind

The 70's one that I used = light, easy to use, non agressive.

Most every Super Speed has a Silver tip, the RED,BLUE,BLACK one came out in the 50's and advertised as diffrent for agressiveness.

The 40's other 50's 60's and 70's mostly had sliver tips.

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What is your opinion on the older Super Speeds vs the newer models?

10. Will

Will Nevermind

The 50's model trumps the 70's anyday of the week IMHO. ;)

11. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

How about the 40s Super Speed vs the 50s version?

12. Will

Will Nevermind

Sorry, never rode a 40's.

I am sure Bronco has some input on this.

13. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

As a general rule are the older razors generally better than the newer model ones or does it really depend on the razor?

14. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Again, this depends on many variables. I have used 40's-60's Gillette razors and they all shave great. I used only one blade, IP. The older models had more blade exposure. With the creation of the tip colors razors and the adjustables the company offered more options. Today there are many shavers who use older DE's and others use later models. Everyone has a different preference. Not does it depends on the razor but in great part dependes on the shaver.

Raf

15. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

There were some manufacturing differences. The 50's were somewhat heavier than the 40's. I believe there were minor differences between the two as far as head design. The Tip colors came out in the 50's offering another option to shavers. In the late 50's the adjustables entered the market. In my opinion 40's razors shave more like a Red tip maybe a Black tip. But I'm not an expert so I could be wrong. This is based on my experiences with both.

Raf

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Do you think the 40s super speed is an any better design?

17. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Most wet shavers are a "preferential" lot. What is sharp for me may be dull for you, what may be aggressive for me may not be for you. I believe Scorpio was inferring to that in one of his posts above. There are some design differences in the 40's and 50's on forward, but as a general rule they are all pretty good razors and what works for you, works for you.

I happen to like Merkur Razor Blades (among others) and more often than not most do not like them. What Mottern Man said Red, Black, Blue is accurate, I own one of each. I also think Gillette was using a marketing tool to promote their razors as they are now...5 blades (OMG) shave better than one (right). Red, Black, Blue...a razor for each type beard (perhaps). They were after all in business to make money. We have a tendency to think of nostalgia when trying to figure out why Gillette made a particular razor and most of the time IMHO is was merchandising...$$$.

I own more than I will ever need or wear out. But I do enjoy using them.

Enjoy your shave...:D