Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable Razor Questions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JayKay, Feb 7, 2008.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I've been using a merkur HD for the past year that I have been shaving with a DE and am looking to upgrade/try something new. I keep hearing good things about the super speed, the fat boy, etc. What is a quality adjustable razor? And how come on ebay some go for 100$ with 100 bids and others go for 4$ with no bids when they all say they are in quality working order?

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Hi!

First of all, the Super Speed is not adjustable, but still a great shaver and in no way to be disregarded! Once you've figured out how ebay economics works, please feel free to share, I have no good explanation :p. I guess it comes down to circumstances, and sometimes collectability. 1st year FatBoys are slightly more sought after, and with an original case, leaflet and complementary blade dispenser it also increases in value.

To find out some of the characteristics of the FatBoy/Slim, please check here : http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4575

3. Hi there,
    I'll let someone else answer the ebay part of your question, but maybe I can help answer the ' Gillette adjustable razor' part. Actually, there isn't all that many decisions to make.
    There's three types of adjustables that are commonly used and seen for sale. The first is the fatboy, as you know. The next model would be the 'slim' adjustable, and the final is the 'super adjustable' style. The 'super's the long, black handled one. There's also a shorter, not often seen version of the 'super' that looks the same as it's bigger brother, except the handle is just about the same length as the slim.
    I''ve used all of those razors, and liked each one. Hehe, they all DO shave differently, and I'd pick a fatboy and either of those other two in order to really see what the differences are. Yeah..........buy 2.................hehe.
    Hope that helps a bit,
    Martin

Oh, there's a few exotics out there also. Gillette made a couple of gold colored adjustables such as the Executive and also the 'slim Aristocrat'. Very nice looking, IMO.

4. Why adjustable ? Is it a better option ? I am guessing that most ppl dial it down to about same as a standard fixed razor. Am I wrong ?

5. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

Everybody's different I guess. On my slims I do my first pass at 5, second pass at 6 and third pass & touch ups ATG at 3 or 4 (depending on the blade) They also can be dialed in to "tame" a certain blade, or vice versa. Some blades are a lot smoother on their second or third shave; maybe do a 3 on the first shave and then kick it up a notch or two after the blade smooths out. Very convenient and great for us "Tinkerers"

6. Interesting information - BTW, I have always loved the writings of Walt Whitman !

7. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

+1 :D

8. Hi Lee,
    As you know, everyone's different when it comes to what works best for them. I don't know what the average equivalent setting would be on a non adjustable razor such as the HD or superspeed, but it really doesn't matter. I personally like the idea of not being locked into only one setting, and to me having a razor with 9 different settings is a nice way to tweak my shave. I know some razors I've tried (aristocrat for example) have just been too aggressive for me. I love the way those razors look, but they're just not for me.
    I've never used a Merkur HD, and I wouldn't mind trying one.........now that I know what to look for in a comfortable shave. Those things have such a great reputation that there must be something to em for sure.
    Anyway, just my ideas on things,
    Martin

9. Thats just great !!! You have justified another purchase ! Long live RAD !!!

10. Hi again,
    Speaking for myself (and hopefully Chris as well), it's a pleasure to help you see for yourself how far down the rabbit hole you will go. Actually, I might suggest a slim as a first adjustable, since they shave very well and aren't as pricey as the fatboys (which also shave great.......heh).
    Once again, glad to encourage your 'hobby'.
    Martin

11. Your concern for my financial well being is noted. Damn the Slims Fatboy's ahead !!!

12. JayKay

I appreciate everybody's help. I guess I'm not locked into an adjustable or the fatboy for that matter. I love my HD but maybe there is something better out there. I just assumed adjustables were better because they allowed you more angles and options. I cant shave ATG with my HD because it irritates my face. I can do it with slight discomfort with a fresh feather blade but after the first shave it just leaves my face in pain (but smooth). I'm assuming the HD is a pretty forgiving razor, even with a feather blade. I'm open to all options, so what are your recommendations based on that?

13. JayKay

Also, C&E best badger brush for 35$ seems like a steal compared to the rest of the badger brushes out there. Is it a good brush or is there a reason its cheaper?

Thanks for the help everybody.

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The C&E is a must have! Every wetshaver should have one in their stable.

15. JayKay

Thank you. I think I might get a Vulfix 403 or 850. Best badger or pure badger? Which is better? I lather in a bowl.

16. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Yep.
    Keep on posting and youll soon find a new title.....
    "Dials 9 everytime"

I keep my Slim on 9 for those times I need quick 2P WTG shave.
    Almost BBS without the irritation.

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

From what I have seen the fatboys that go over $100 are unused razors. I have a fatboy and a slim, they shave almost identical in my experience, but I like the extra weight of the fatboy.

18. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I had a FatBoy but prefer the balance and shave of the Slim.
    So.....there you go.

Buy both and see which suits you better.
    Scout around thrift shops and antique stores and estate sales.
    NO way would I pay $100 for a Fat Boy.
    A Sticky, tho.......

Thats another story ;)

20. JayKay

So I bought a 40$ vulfix pure badger brush and some TOBS shave cream to give a whirl. Unfortunately I live in a college town and the only thing you'll find at an estate sale here is a beer spattered futon and maybe a 3 legged ikea desk. Anybody willing to part with a fat boy or a slim? I'm rather unwilling to make an ebay account and a paypal account.