Gillette Fat Boy F4

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tales1973, Feb 1, 2015.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Might be a local term for the North east. Kinda like Soda, Pop in different parts if the country.

maltedmilk likes this.
  2. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Seeing this thread for the first time today, I figured the razor as pictured would sell for at least $300 and possibly more. That I why I have abandoned my search for a Fatboy.

3. tales1973

tales1973 Member

I have been watching his auctions, he sold 2 FBs not painted a few months ago. he took the best offer. Listing was $400
    Yeah, he might not take the $777. So WHY? If someone does hit the button eBay is going to bill him for the sale. IMO, put the correct price, if it wasn't RED & a fair price i would have bought it.

"dealing with someone with a sense of humor" I guess? but he lost my interest. I moved on, and found one i hope will work for me. Ive seen other listings for FB services
    My son buys rare sneakers in the hundreds, some have make an offer, he will offer around $10 less and get turned down.

Bottom line, its his auction he can do what he wants. Thank for all the advice :)

4. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

you got a fine deal if its within your budget. The razor looks very nice and with case and all. I don't beleive you should worry about the deal.

5. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Now, now, now.... for Southerners, they're all "cokes." When you ask someone if they want a "coke," you then ask them them "what kind?" :happy102:

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God. ;)

SRNewb likes this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I just looked it up $1.95 in 1960 is worth $15.60 today. $51.00 in 1960 is worth $407.89 today.
    FatBoy prices today are often through the roof IMO, they are collectors prices not user prices. You should research prices on ebay and possibly antique shops and come up with what you think is a fair price and stick with, then let the hunt begin. :happy088: Good luck!

Herm2502 likes this.
  7. tales1973

tales1973 Member

As of now i use two razors to get a decent shave. Hopefully that will go away with time, as I'm still new to DE razors.
    Im not into collecting! a friend suggested trying an adjustable. And seeing the date codes made me wonder if i was bidding on a collectors item. I wanted a razor for use, not to ruin a collectible.
    Im fine with $110 for regular use. BIN & a decent looking razor was my goal.

8. tales1973

tales1973 Member

$6,100.00 + $13 shipping
    [​IMG]

9. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Sorry but that $13 shipping is a deal breaker.

Herm2502 likes this.
  10. tales1973

tales1973 Member

I rounded down. $13.03 in need of 3ยข

11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

My Slim was $12 in only good condition, but bought it at an antique store. Still searching for the FB

12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Doing a little more research, and looking at these razors at Above the Tie , Fat Boys are selling for $245, Slims $175. Is the reason for the price difference, popularity?

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While I haven't been safety razor hunting in a while. From what I remember, if you want a vintage razor, either the Slim or Super Adjustable are better deals for the most part, price wise. All shave GREAT! :)

14. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Prices will only increase as more people get/get back into wet shaving.

15. Desi

Desi New Member

Well, just got back from another antique shop, this one was in Strathroy Ontario and is a "booth" style antique shop. Found three Fatties. Bought a E3 with the box, passed on another without a box and also a gold executive priced for stoopid money. Crap, I think I'm an addict now.
    This one was a bit more than my previous find ($5), but its in pretty much new condition. There is a box of blue blades with it as well, only two blades missing. Looks like the original owner maybe gave up on shaving with it after only a few shaves in 1959. There is an older blade in the box as well, looks to be an "older" version of the blue blade. Stamped made in Canada and patented 1934-1935.

I'd like to pass this one on perhaps any interest? I'm not a collector, just a shaver, but will happily facilitate other's addiction :)

tales1973 and WhiskerWhacker like this.
  16. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

there is one at a antique shop by me that is a E4 (i think), which is new in the box, with instruction's, and blades for $125

17. tales1973

tales1973 Member

The adjustable range of the razor is perfect, IMO, it was a good investment. Not knowing i had an email that the Mergress was in stock. I now have two adjustable razors.
    [​IMG]

maltedmilk likes this.
  18. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, the Gillette Fatboy I bought off of someone here is an F4, but has the service notches in the bottom cap of the razor. I have read that such tools are rarer because of the mix of parts in 1960 as the 195 model was being phased out in favor of the Slims.