Gillette Fatboy Prices Just Keep Climbing.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Mar 13, 2021.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just an interesting observation, and story. But, please chime in, and contribute with your thoughts.

I started to use Vintage Razors, over 7 years ago, for various reasons. It was at that time, I acquired my first Gillette Fatboy Razor. It was instantly my favorite razor. Back then, I acquired a couple of user grade ones, with very very minimal wear, for under $30. I thought that was a lot, and over a couple of years, accumulated many mlre, for between $15-$30. Most I acquired for under $20, but I learned to fix, and restore them, somewhat, but never got good at plating. Soon, these good buys were few, and far between. Now, on Ebay, I see well worn, and sad looking ones, go for around $50. Ones that looked very nice, several years ago, were selling around $40, and now go for $100-$150.

I would like to think we can still find them at decent prices, but it seems the word is out, and they are being snatched up.
    Are you fellow members finding any for a good price, online, or in the wild?? If so, please share. Pics are always welcome.
    Oh, and it seems the Slim Adjustable prices are on the rise too.
    :shaver

brit likes this.
  2. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Last year I bought from eBay a Gillette Slim Adjustable with the case for about $35-$40 in excellent condition. Before that I bought a Slim by itself for around $16 a year or two earlier. It’s crazy what sellers are charging for old razors these days. B1834B29-258D-4607-9267-9A53D4EB607C.jpeg

brit likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

Sellers almost always ask a little more, and even a lot more, than what auction prices go for. But, I am seeing some pretty hefty prices being paid for the Fatboys and some Slims at auction. These aren't even replated ones. I can understand the crazy prices for NOS, but some user grade ones are now being fought over, at auctions.

brit likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I do know part of what is driving the market is COVID bound people with too much time on their hands just looking to spend money on something anything since they don't go out. The other is foreign buyers who don't have access to these razors otherwise tend to pay more.

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

sold my clean cased f-2 fatboy for $125 a while back without a hitch.wish i had more to sell..;)

6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I don't buy on line anymore unless it's a real good price. My best places to buy is thrift , antique stores and yard,garage sales. Just bought a 30's short comb New Type with fat handle for $5 at antique store and at the same store 2 weeks ago a Fatboy for $10. I find that I get better deals off line than on.

brit and Angelo85 like this.
  7. DaltonGang

I dont know where you live, but Thrift Stores are a No-Go. Antique stores use to be a good place, years ago, and anything around the Houston area is pretty much picked over.

brit likes this.
  8. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I once bought a prewar fat handle Tech for $7.50 at a junk shop I go to.

9. Tallships

Mid Maine here. Pickings are not as good as they used to be but I still find some goodies

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. Tallships

Good price

Angelo85 likes this.
  11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

While I occasionally get a good deal online it seems the only fabulous deals I get are in the wild.
    I tend to haunt antique stores, thrift stores, and consignment shops.
    Rarely have I found a particular shop to be “the place” for razors.
    My best deals have generally been finds that were somewhat out of place.
    It’s the vendor who doesn’t normally sell razors but decides to sell an acquisition for five bucks instead of throwing it in the wastebasket.

Angelo85 and DaltonGang like this.
  12. DaltonGang

From what I've read, over the years, the older Northeast States tend to be some of the best places to pick, in the wild.

13. DaltonGang

Well, it looks like prices might have stabilized a little. Most Fatboy razors I've seen sell lately fore between $45-$60. Not pristine, not trashed, but decent condition razors.

brit likes this.