Gillette Guard Razor

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by COMPNOR, Aug 22, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

It has been a long time since I've used a cartridge razor.

I've got four DFS shaves with the Gillette Guard under my belt. So what can I say? No lube strip, no cooling strip, no laser guidance system, only a single blade. A handle that feels like a toy, with virtually no weight to it.

And yet it is a very nice, simple, efficient razor. I've only nicked myself once, and that was more due to me contorting my face trying to get this stubborn hair at the corner of my mouth then the razor itself. Two passes, a WTG and ATG and then those pesky touchups on the jawline and I was good to go. I did the alum test, and had only minor irritation on the neck, which is pretty standard for me.

The downside? Well, it is only a single blade (kidding). But it is a cartridge, and with that comes plastic. The Mother Earth Hippy Lover in me doesn't like the idea of plastic filling up landfills. You may think differently. And from what I can find, they appear to only exist in India and purchased through the 'bay. But the vendor I used was quick to ship, and I actually got 3 complete razors with 15 extra heads for like $7 bucks. And even coming from India shipping was quick.

So do I see myself switching to the Guard? Not in the near future. But as a travel razor, or maybe as part of a car toiletry kit, it would definitely fit the bill. And if I ever come to the point where I feel like something more "complicated" like a DE, SE, or Straight was too much for me I wouldn't hesitate to go to the Guard.

gorgo2 likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Dollar General sells the ladies version now for a couple of bucks.