Gillette Guard

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by ironthinker, Dec 19, 2015.

1. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I just used the Gillette Guard, from India, for the first time. I would have never ordered it, but a reliable source on The Shave Den convinced me to try it.
    In spite of the very light handle, it's now my second favorite razor, after my Merkur Progress. I can't believe Gillette won't stop the exporting of it to the USA.
    I know many here on the Shave Den have had a record numbers with it, for shaving with the same blade.
    What are some of your record numbers and how many of you will keep one, for any reason?

2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I have an order of those sitting at my Post Office. The eBay vendor sent them Registered Mail and they need a sig. I hate that. I'm looking forward to trying them after all of the good opinions I've read about them.

gorgo2 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

So I just used the Guard for the first time this morning. I haven't used a cartridge in two years so I approached it with some skepticism. This is a single blade pivoting cartridge with a closed comb reminiscent of an R41. My first reaction was the unit was entirely too light and that panned out during use. I found I was applying pressure to feel any razor action. After getting over that however, I found that the Guard provided a damn fine shave. For $12 per 20 carts (with two handles), these are a killer deal. I can see that these would be an excellent travel razor option or even a very low cost daily driver if a cartridge floats your boat.

Pros- sharp, efficient, CHEAP!

Cons- lacking in heft

AGHisBBS, gorgo2, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  4. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Our much loved vintage razors give us nostalgia, history, a great shave and are lots of fun where carts can't compete. Since I rediscovered DEs I won't touch a cart, until I found the Gillette Guard.

Thanks to the Shave Den I have found both.

AGHisBBS, gorgo2, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks for the great review.

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I like the Guard on the road.

I average 2 x 3-pass shaves on one cartridge.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

RaZorBurn123 and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I ordered a handle and five blades, going to give it a try for my head shaves. Thanks for the heads up!!

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to give the Guard a try. Aces!

RaZorBurn123 and Robyflexx like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

One of these days I'm gonna try this.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.