Gillette is back!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morman Bridge, Mar 23, 2016.

1. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

The youngest also wants my pistol. I dunno about that one...I think he's gonna be the wild one of the bunch. Anyway, he's only six.

2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Art of Shaving's double edge blades are $1.00 each, not 10 cents, at least for the Gillette Platinums ($20 for four packs of five blades each). Checking today, one store had eight safety razors, twelve cartridge razors and three straight razors, so they do sell safety razors. The safety razors and cartridge razors are both displayed with equal prominence. Customers have long had the opportunity to shy away from $4 cartridges to double edge blades.

3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Received this email
    image.jpeg
    I can't wait for Friday and see if the tech razor will be released and up for sale. Curiosity is killing me.

Jayaruh, Jim99 and gorgo2 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If it's going to make my arm look like that, I don't want one.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :happy097:

6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a side shot of that razor. I really want to see if it is a Tech-like baseplate or something more like an EJ89 clone.

simms623 likes this.
  7. Jorvaljr

There is something about the head that makes me think it's the ej89 head. I've always wondered why all the low end brands use that type of head. I see razors all over the place from $10-$20 with the same type of head and sporting stainless steel handles or wooden handles.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If it is, it's likely to be a massive flop.

9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Something about that baseplate has always looked "wrong" since I saw the first AoS picture that included a Tech-handled razor. I hope I'm wrong, though.

I just always assumed the ej89-style heads were so common because there was a factory or two in Pakistan that was turning them out by the container load. According to the rumors, though, that should not be the case for the AoS Tech as, supposedly, it's manufactured in Ohio.

That brings me to another question, one which has niggled at me since hearing that the AoS razor was delayed as Gillette was not happy with the results and had to redesign the razor: Why is it so common to have a "thick" baseplate on a modern DE razor as opposed to the fairly thin ones on the vintage razors? Is there a user preference that drives it?

I ask because I assume that the delays were because either a) Gillette was unhappy with manufacturing yields and the redesign was to accommodate modern manufacturing or b) some test group was unhappy with how the razor shaved. I've been assuming the former was the case, but wonder if there is a core group of modern DE users who wouldn't be happy with a clone of the original Tech, forcing Gillette to create a modern version for 21st Century sensibilities.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Have wondered that too. I could be very wrong but IF high speed automated mills have become cheaper than hydraulic presses to run and maintain, maybe it's easier to machine them out than to stamp them out like the Tech baseplates were? I'm also assuming mills can be run in smaller scale operations than presses typically are. Pure guesswork, I could be totally off.

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I always thought it was due to the materials used in the manufacturing process. The old Gillette razors had brass heads, which is not too brittle. Modern razors like the ej89 use Zamak in the heads, which I would think would cracking easily if it was too thin. Your theory sounds very plausible, though, and I hadn't thought of it.

12. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Have the new tech's made their debut?

13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

They are up: Gillette Nickel Tech-$125.00. NOT..............

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

= $7.26 in 1940. *sigh*

15. Jorvaljr

I don't see anything on their website and I called 3 stores. The stores all states that they will get them in sometime this year but no release date yet.

Bobcat likes this.
  16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

nope.gif

barbersurgeon likes this.
  18. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

So what would the price of a 40's tech be in today's dollars? Just for comparison sake.

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

$122.65
    http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1&year=1940
    $125
    http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=7.26&year1=1940&year2=2016

So if they charge $125, that will be about right, with inflation. I guess I will stick with my vintage brass with nickel plating, that I got for around $6-$12. I have several. Some included with other razors, as extras.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    dbersh likes this.
  20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Bama Samurai likes this.