Gillette Mach 3 vs. Fusion.

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by venom0706, Jun 14, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Which in your opinion delivers the better shave? The strange thing is that the Fusion (Proglide) has 5 blades and is supposed to give a better and smoother shave, but instead of that it tears up my face. The Mach 3, however, even if it has only 3 blades, offers me a much better and less irritating shave. Why is that? Which in your opinion is the better one?

2. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I get a smoother closer shave with the Fusion ProGlide Power blades, but I still love my Mach 3. My favorite cart is the Schick Hydro 5. Aces!

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Everyone's skin is different. That's the real answer ;). I can't use a Mach 3 to save my life but the Proglide works perfectly with 0 irritation, bumps and wonderfully smooth.

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've already answered the question. If the Mach 3 works better for you, go with it. Most of us here use DE or SE razors which only have one blade edge touching the skin at a time. If fewer blades seems to agree with you, and I think it does for many of us, you might consider it.

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The Mach 3 is the only 3 blade cart I can use. Everything else that's 3 or more burns, tugs and cuts. 2 works better for me.

6. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I think that my signature line reflects my thoughts on this subject ;)

ObiDon likes this.
  7. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

Despite the cost of the blades and the fact that it has a head the size of a broom the Fusion is the best razor I have ever used, I once got 43 bbs from one cartridge.
    The mach3 is a nice razor too but not as good as the Fusion on my face.
    I use Cella soap and a synthetic brush and always use as little pressure as possible .... preparation and technique are more important than gear.
    I had [seem to have lost the handle lately] the Gillette Fusion Pro-glide Power.

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've never used either a Mach3 or the Fusion in my 30+ years of shaving. I got terrible enough shaves from my Trac2 with 2 blades and saw no reason to try more blades. Now I happily use just a single DE or SE blade. NO more irritation, discomfort or razor burn!! I do agree with Uncle Brian preshave prep and technique go a very long way towards shaving comfort.:)

9. Aeacus

Aeacus New Member

Used to use a Fusion all the time, but I constantly had razor burn and just accepted it as part of shaving until a DE. Tried out the Mach3 out of sheer curiosity after this thread and it's definitely an improvement, skin wise! I've got absurdly sensitive skin though, so take that as you will. :p

10. Uncle Brian

5 blades on the Fusion might just be too many huh? The Mach3 is a good razor and the blades last well and are not too silly in price.
    :happy093:

11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I really can't bring myself to try either of those razors again.

12. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

13. Uncle Brian

Fusion Pro-glide Power - Best with expensive cartridges
    Mach3 - great razor with ok priced cartridges
    Sensor Excel - more aggressive than Mach3 so care needed and cartridges are a good price.
    Trac2 - also twin blade but they don't swivel - not tested yet :)
    Schick cartridge razors, ok but IMHO not as good as Gillette.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Every cartridge I've tried has given me horrible irritation and ingrown hair. Went from Sensor to Mach 3 to Fusion to Harry's(5blade).

DE fixed it. I agree that prep and technique make an immense difference, but I could never get great results with a cartridge.

Not going back.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  15. laci82

laci82 New Member

Mach 3 is the best. Fusion should be the better, because its newer technology. But no, it isnt. U can see the problem already, when u look at the blades. The answer is there. The 3 blades on mach 3 are in perfect position. On the fusion 5 blades, but way too close. They cant cut properly, and it will be full of hair in 1 sec.......and after that hard to rinse and wont cut anything. Less effective, but irritates the skin more. And the head is already too big, so they cant make more distance between the blades. Mach 3 is perfect product. (and many people like this DE razors.....well, the mach 3 wont cut u, and still a perfect irritation less shave if u shave properly. I have sensitive skin. Thats why I tried DE as well....with that the shave can be always a bit bloody. So doesnt matter how many people will push for it, its just not a good option at all....) Buy mach 3.

16. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I went back to the Trac II for a medical reason and get as good a two-pass shave as with my DE or SE razors. I cannot use any cart razor with a pivoting head but have no ingrown hair or irritation with the fixed head two blade. For me a return to a DE or SE would be for nostalgia or image not because the shave is better.

17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I mostly use DE razors, but I get really good shaves with my Trac 2 as well.

Luca likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I used Mach 3 for many years and resisted the Fusion. I think it was a couple of years after the Fusion came out that I finally tried one. I did not like it. It was not an improvement on the Mach 3 for me and the blades cost more. I took it back for a refund. Within a year, I think, I switched to DE.