Gillette No 88

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, Feb 1, 2022.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So I have been eyeing a Gillette No 88 set. I have no where near as many razors as many of you, but have a decent collection going on, all shavers with a couple of display only models that still get shaved with from time to time. This one is just over $200. Should I pick it up, or are y'all going to talk me off the ledge? As always, I don't NEED another razor... but, do they shave so well, I have to do it?

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

$200 is a little steep. It would have to be a mint set with instructions/shipper.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

is it like this one?
    1934 No88 England.jpeg

Bill G, Jayaruh and Jorvaljr like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Lol i originally read No66 haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

:D:eatdrink047:..

6. jay_gatz

brit likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

they are one of my favorite shavers,though i do prefer the three piece versions..no real reason why.they are durable but teeth can bend if you drop them ,like any oc razor.if the set has a shipper box and other "nos"attributes it's worth the $$ imo.i chose vintage brit razors for various reasons.my next favorite is a nickel plate u.s new sc.not a big fan of gold razors,mostly due to more fragile plating.
    there are many folks who love new rfb models,both for looks and shave performance.i would buy it myself, however.i wouldn't spend $500 for a toggle.:):eatdrink047:

8. jay_gatz

Well, I went ahead and bought it. Clearly this is not the place to come to save money

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  9. brit

brit in a box

no sir it's not.;).but collecting 90 year oldish mint, original, rare british mid to high end gillette sets can get expensive quickly.you didn't overpay based your description.i expect to see a nice example pictured here soon.:):eatdrink047:congrats.

10. jay_gatz

Should be around Monday, although I am not counting on anything with the massive sheet of ice that covered Dallas, although I did get the mail today...

brit likes this.
  11. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

I wonder how #89 shaves...

jay_gatz and brit like this.
  12. jay_gatz

brit likes this.
  13. jay_gatz

I was surprised at how thin the handle feels compared to something like a new/new standard.

brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

nice set cool.score.:cool: