Gillette Old Type?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Justin Linker, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

I just pulled the trigger on a Gillette Old Type razor circa 1940s on eBay. I never hear anyone talk about it. Anyone have one? What is your thoughts? This is my first open comb razor.

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I have one and while some people seem to think they're aggressive, I didn't find that at all. On mine the blade is held pretty much right against the comb so the angle where the blade cuts is very narrow and mine seems very mild. One thing to watch for is that you'll probably have to make sure the blade is centered well before you tighten the handle down all the way. As long as you do that, you can get some good shaves with it.

3. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I love my Old Type. It takes a little getting used to and the angle can't be judge solely by the comb, but it's a good razor that doe an excellent job. If you do a Google search you'll find this razor in many threads on various forums. It's a pretty well known and widespread old razor.

Here is my initial write up of the Gillette Old Type:
    http://cryofthewildjabberwock.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/gillette-old-type-head/

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have one and like it. As jabberwock said, it takes a little getting used to, which is why some folks may jump right out there and say it's aggressive.

5. Justin Linker

Here is a couple of photos of the razor. I'm no vintage Gillette expert, how does this look to you? I paid only $10.28 for it shipped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigT, 178-bplatoon and 5Savages like this.
  6. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

It looks great! I don't see any bent teeth or obvious cracks in the handle. I think you did well!

I love my Old Type. It's one of my favorites. I do question the statement that it's 40's vintage though. The oldest one shown here is 1929.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/Old Type.htm

7. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Looking at the curved base plate and cap and the posts, that is almost definitely an Old Type, which would mean that it was made well before 1940.

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

For 10 bucks I'd say you made a deal!! It's a very nice vintage razor! I also think it was made in the early 1900's and I've heard them mostly described as relatively mild, many people feel an open comb is more aggressive than a solid bar, however if you feel it's too mild you can always shim the blade...:) Either way "NICE" score!!

9. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I find the old type OCs to be very good shavers. I have two, one is a Khaki Set and they don't let me down.

10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Nice score. I'm on the look out for one of those myself. Let us know how it shaves.

11. Justin Linker

I could've read the 1940s thing from a different eBay listing. Glad I did well on my first vintage score. I've been wanting to try out an open comb for a while. Hopefully it will be here soon.

12. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Some of the ball end old types have serial numbers on the blade plate, I have one bearing E999797 which dates it to 1918.

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

If you like it as much as I do, you'll be liking it a lot!
    Nice haul, Justin!

14. old okie

old okie Member

Have one like yours it is the only one I have used for the last year, rest of my razors just stay on the shelf.

15. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I have it,a nice razor
    A good start,welcome to the Open Comb world !

[​IMG]