Gillette Psycho

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Received this "scary" little thing this past weekend and had my first shave with it this morning.

A little bit about Gillette "Psycho"
    The Gillette Psycho is what is also commonly referred to as an 'institutional razor'.
    It was commonly used at prisons and mental institutions through the 50's and 60's as it was especially designed for that purpose.

At its core the Gillette Psycho is a fat handle Tech - but with one important difference: the head can be locked using a removable tube-key. The purpose behind this design was to allow the razors to be handed out to the inmates/patients - with the blade loaded into them - but with no possible way for the blade to be taken out of the razor until it was returned to the guard who could unlock the razor. The razor has a trapped nut inside the handle that must be operated with this special key.

These razors were made in England, The US and Brazil during the 50's and 60's.
    Mine happens to be a Y4 (1953) razor made in Brazil.

Gillette wasn't the only company producing "Psycho" razors during those years. Grafco was another manufacturer that had a very similar product but with a rather different looking locking mechanism;
    [​IMG]

In the beginning the razors were sold as kits consisting of 10 razors and 1 key (that later changed so that each razor was sold with its own key) - which today makes the key in many cases more valuable and more rare than the razor itself.

Ok, some photos of the Psycho that I bought:

Here with the key inserted:
    [​IMG]

The key taken out:
    [​IMG]

Only when the razor is unlocked can the head plate be taken off so that the blade can be accessed.
    [​IMG]

Shaved with it this morning and a great shave was had :)
    [​IMG]

Enrico, brit, Billyfergie and 16 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very nice!

I think a 5th rack is needed.

SRNewb, clint64 and Darkbulb like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Funny you should say.....it is...... :signs081:

Billyfergie and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I picked up these last year. Three NOS with the original box and key. Sounds like you've had better luck shaving with yours, though.
    Psychos (800x600).jpg

brit, Billyfergie, macaronus and 6 others like this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Very cool. Was yours new or used?

Rufus T. and Darkbulb like this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wow great looking set of Psychos! Are they British, American or Brazilian?
    Actually yes, it gave a great shave this morning - but wouldn't the shave be like that of any Tech?

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It was used by Charles Manson unused I believe.

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Speaking of Manson... Did you see that the young strumpet was only interested in marrying him so she could take his body and put it on display after he died?

Yikes...

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ha, just looked it up...crazy.
    Well, at least I got his razor.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Psycho Cat!
    Psycho_Cat.jpg

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I feel that writing Psycho and cat is a bit of a tautology ;)

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Ah, memories.

wristwatchb and Darkbulb like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Are the Psychos on the mild side, on purpose?

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Supposedly not all Tech's are created equally - and maybe there was some additional intent along those lines when it was designed.

This is from a post/claim on another forum that I'm unable to substantiate personally;

British heavy baseplate Tech: Most aggressive,
    Triangular holed baseplate version (typically made in Canada, stamped 1932): Medium aggressive,
    Psycho Tech: Mild aggressive.

17. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I just noticed that there's little block/guards on the corners of the head. I wonder if that was there to keep you from prying them up and exposing the blade.

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Interesting and that could be the case.
    I did notice this morning that when loading the blade I found those notches very useful as there is nothing else to hold the blade still/in place as you secure the blade.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Very interesting and, quite honestly, a bit disturbing. Here is an interesting YouTube video with more information about these razors.

Billyfergie and Darkbulb like this.
  20. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Ebay has some "Prison" razors...are these the same thing? I just don't recall the key with the ebay ones. Very nice by the way.

Darkbulb likes this.