Gillette Pure Shave Cream...quick review

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by poppi, Jan 21, 2019.

1. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I picked up a tube at wally world, was hidden behind some other junk hanging from the rack. They had this and some canned foam. I think that's what it was. Anyway, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

2. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I bought some and didn't realize it had menthol in it until after I purchased it. Woe is me, I'm sensitive to it. I just wish Schick made a shaving cream, ya know, being a CT native and all.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Yehuda D, Frijolero and brit like this.
  3. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I did not notice that. But it's right there in the ingredients list. I'm not the biggest fan of menthol. I wonder if the menthol is noticeable to someone who is NOT sensitive to it.

Yehuda D, Frijolero and brit like this.
  4. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Did you try it? I've used it half a dozen times, cold water shaving, and I can't feel it all. Even proraso is stronger, Stirling freezes my face.

5. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Well. I used it today. Couple days growth. Two pass shave. One WTG and one ATG. I will say it was a pretty good shave. No nicks or razorburn. A lot of lather. I guess I used too much. A little bit of a lemony smell and I didn't notice any menthol, but that's just me. Not too bad. Glad I bought it.

Kevin

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Showed up in our local Walmart in the last week and I picked up a tube but haven't tried it yet.

Yehuda D, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  7. MntnMan62

I'm psyched. I just found out that Walgreens in my area has it. I'm going to pick some up tomorrow. Now I just have to wait for West Coast Shaving to restock their Gatsby No. 1 shave soap and I'll be one happy shaver.

Paul Turner, brit, Yehuda D and 2 others like this.
  8. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Sweet. I really suggest adding a lot of water. It can handle more then it looks like. Excited to hear your opinion.

9. brit

brit in a box

hope to get some here soon...

Yehuda D, CrustyCat and Zed117 like this.
  10. MntnMan62

Ok. Almost there. Picked up a tube at Walgreens this afternoon. I had already shaved today so I’ll try it on Thursday. My first new cream or soap in several months. Giddy with excitement. I’m definitely a dork.

11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

The closest youre going to get to that is Edge shave gel.

brit and Yehuda D like this.
  12. MntnMan62

I still haven't shaved with it but I did put some on my finger and rub it around and into my hands. The initial scent is nice. Very mild. Citrusy. Seems moisturizing. I'm hoping it's slick. One thing though. After it disappeared on my hands the citrusy scent also disappeared and what was left was a not quite so pleasant, but not offensive, smell that I cannot describe. Anyway, I'm not concluding anything until I've shaved with it several times. I'll be back Thursday or Friday with thoughts after the first shave.

13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

That's not going to happen. Cream or soap, no canned goo.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

brit, Yehuda D and baiywt56 like this.
  14. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

I think that light scent that remains after is the Aloe. I'm not an aloe scent fan, but the stuff feels great.

Yehuda D and MntnMan62 like this.
  15. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nice shave this morning with Gillette Pure. I did notice a slight menthol with this cream, a very light cooling effect, nice IMO. Very good residual slickness and post shave feel is good. My nose doesn't know but I think this scent is kind of green or perhaps an aquatic scent. Not bad at all.
    [​IMG]

16. Badgerstate

LOL...I have a travel size can of Edge shave gel that I use when I travel. Its actually not bad. Quick, easy, cheap.

brit, Yehuda D and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  17. MntnMan62

Edge was my go to for many many years during my cart days. I used the Sensitive Skin version with aloe. I didn’t use it for about 3 years after discovering classic wet shaving. Then out of curiosity I tried it again to compare to all those wonderful creams and soaps I've discovered. It didn’t provide much slickness. Post shave made my face feel dry. I’d rather take a small container of classic shave cream when traveling. And if I have to use canned goo, I found Gillette’s Barbershop Fresh Mousse to be really nice. Thick, slick and a great scent. I gave my son a can to take with him to summer camp last summer. He didn't rave about it but he didn't complain either. If he doesn't like something, boy can he complain. So I take that to mean he likes it.

brit, Yehuda D and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  18. Badgerstate

Agree on the Barbershop Fresh. I actually think that Gillette Foamy is better than Barbasol, although I usually buy Barbasol because its cheaper.

19. MntnMan62

I shaved with this stuff today. First, the scent out of the tube is quite nice and expands a bit while building lather. A very mild citrusy scent. It built lather with a brush very quickly, much like most other quality shave creams. It does like water as someone has already pointed out. I used a synthetic brush for this shave and bowl lathered. The lather went on nice and thick and I noticed no dissipation while on my face. Slickness and cushion were pretty good. Not the best but good. Post shave feel was also decent although I've felt better. The scent that I noticed when just feeling the cream on my fingers the other day was present after my shave. Not unpleasant necessarily but not pleasant either. Just weird. Probably the aloe as pointed out. I had not shaved in 2 or 3 days and I was treated to a BBS shave. So far my initial reaction is this is a pretty good cream for the money. I paid less than $7.50 with tax for a 6 oz. tube. Considering tubes of Proraso go for $10 plus tax and Musgo Real are approaching $20 a tube, this is a bargain. I'll formulate some conclusions after I've had several shaves with it. I may compare it with Gillettes Barbershop Fresh Mousse just for fun.

brit, Yehuda D, CrustyCat and 5 others like this.
  20. Badgerstate

I finally got around to using mine too. I didnt use a brush, I just used my hands with it and even then it provides a good lather. Id compare it to Cremo but with more cushion. It provides good slickness.
    I didnt get the mild citrus scent that others are talking about. To me, it just has a lotiony smell. Certainly nothing bad but nothing that really stands out either. All in all, Id say its a good cream.