Gillette Pure Shave Cream...quick review

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by poppi, Jan 21, 2019.

1. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot to mention about the menthol. I didn't get any real sensation from the menthol until I rinsed my face after the second pass. I use cold water to rinse my face and the menthol was just slightly present enough to make the cold water feel just a touch colder, which I liked. I'm not a big fan of too much menthol, except during the summer. This was just a hint of menthol and is barely noticeable. A positive for me.

2. MntnMan62

I shaved with it again today before the Super Bowl party. Really pretty similar to the previous shave. Used a Parker King Size pure badger this time. I also measured the amount of cream using my little Aztec spoon that I normally use for my creams. Last shave I just put a copious amount into the bottom of the bowl since it was my first time using it. It does lather up quickly and expands. And it is definitely thirsty. The cream is reasonably slick with some cushion but neither justifies writing home to mom about it. The menthol feel really didn't become noticeable until I rinsed off after my final touch up pass (I do 3 full passes plus touchup). Scent was pleasant enough but it isn't yanking at my heartstrings like Stirling Barbershop or AOS Sandalwood or WCS Gatsby. Post shave feel is ok, but again, not the most moisturizing in the world. I like this cream, which may seem like a contradiction to my ho hum review. And the reason would have to go down to how cheap this stuff is. It's free of all the bad stuff as far as ingredients go and it gets the job done for a very small amount of pocket change. Because of that I may always have a tube around. My recommendation is give it a try and see for yourself how many of the boxes you can check off. I'm always interested to get other people's perspective.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've used Pure by Gillette once so far. My inital impression is mostly favorable.

Scent: definitely a "modern" scent. I get an aquatic, slightly masculine vibe off it. It's light and inoffensive. Has that 'passed the focus group smell test' scent going on. If you've ever smelled 'sea buckthorn' scented stuff, you know what this smells like.

Menthol: very light. Might not have even noticed it if i hadn't gotten some on my lips.

Lather: On the thin side. Good cushion and slickness. Just thick enough to be adequate for DE shavers, yet thin enough to not clog multiblade cartridges.

Final thoughts. This shaving cream marks an important milestone, and may be the biggest indication that wet shaving is going mainstream we've seen in years. That being said, this is a solid performer, if slightly underwhelming.

Bottom line, Kiss my Face Natural Man Invigorating Aqua Shave costs about the same, smells about the same, and performs about the same (not the same product as kmf moisture shave, fyi). This will not be a repeat purchase for me.

4. MntnMan62

I saw it on the shelf in Shoprite in NJ today. Looks like it should be widely available.

Yehuda D and brit like this.
  5. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

:signs011:

I agree. It would take a massive reversal to make me buy again as well. I include all proctor and gamble products in that.

brit and Yehuda D like this.
  6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Well, I don't agree with some of the company policies BUT don't feel that we should punish their workforce for that.

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Yehuda D like this.
  7. Grick

Grick Active Member

Oddly enough, the cream is not available in Europe....

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

if anyone would pick up a tube and send it my way i would be grateful.all expenses covered of course..

9. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

How many and to where? I could do it later this week.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I wish Chik Fil A franchisers and employees didn't get punished by people who disagree with Mr. Cathy's personal opinion, which in no way affects the quality of their waffle fries, but it is still happening. Entire local governments have come out against having a chicken sandwich shop in town or on campus because of it. Same with Dick's Sporting Goods. Corporate took a stance on an issue, lost many customers and jobs. That's how it goes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  11. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I bought a tube at my local Walmart this afternoon. I look forward to giving it a try this week with my Braun Series-9 shaver and my JR-338 70/30 Badger/Boar brush.

Clayton[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

12. MntnMan62

Exactly. If you can't face the heat from opening your mouth, don't open it. Not everyone is going to agree with everything you say. That's life. But if you say something controversial, be prepared for some sort of negative reaction.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir..

CrustyCat likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

So you're okay with boycotts for any ideological reason? I am, just want to know if you are.

brit likes this.
  15. MntnMan62

Yes. When you boycott something, anything, you are making a statement about your position on a given topic. It's often the most effective way to voice your opposition to something because you're talking with your wallet which often is the only way to get people's attention. So, yes, I'm okay with boycotts for any ideological reason.

Tedolph, brit and gorgo2 like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Glad we agree on that.

Tedolph, brit and MntnMan62 like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

Kevin at @CrustyCat sent me a cool parcel ..this fine cream was inside . thank you sir.. lovely stuff, nice light scent , slick and decent face feel after the shave..glad to have it in my rotation..tthank you Kevin .. i am most grateful..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Ijustmissedthe50s and CrustyCat like this.
  18. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Your welcome...:) Glad you like it.:signs011:

brit likes this.
  19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

That's a pretty darn good lather.

Zed117 and brit like this.
  20. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Does anybody find that this stuff leaves a nasty film on everything that is hard to rinse off?