Gillette quality time

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by René den Hollander, Nov 26, 2018.

1. René den Hollander

René den Hollander New Member

Hello to All interested.
    Here my maiden message at Theshaveden.
    I'm from the Netherlands, build in '73. Have started earlier this year with a few Chinese DE razors, one adjustable, which is okay, but not giving a smooth shave. Then one TTO which is also not performing nice, and one 3 piece unit, which I threw away, after I noticed it was almost impossible to get the blade to fit straight.
    Of course I was anxious to get the best blades, and in my inexperience I believed those to be the Feathers; I had to learn the hard way... Then after I purchased the Derby's and Astra's which both are okay, but still not providing the BBS -is the term here,I believe?- results.

I have a middle to heavy beard-growth and shave 1 to 2 times a week. Although I would like to shave more often, I tend to get some irritation in the neck area when I do. Could be product or technique, or a combination. Or just plain sensitive skin.

At first I used a Dutch brand De Vergulde Hand shaving soap and now my first Proraso red shaving bowl is almost empty, time for something new :) And I must admit... It's not because I'm Dutch, but am sort of lazy to get more into the topic; as shaving brush I use a 'normal' synthetic paint brush, of course dedicated to my shaving bowl, which does the job well, I guess, but it's definitely upgradable :)
    As after shave creme I much like the green Proraso.

Recently I purchased a Gillette on eBay. At first I believed it to be a Superspeed, but it turned out to be a Rocket: made in England. Or is it an Aristocrat ? I'm not sure about the year of manufacture either. I'll attach some photos. I hope you guys have any thoughts on the exact model and year.

It came in very clean, almost like new, but for hygienic reasons of course I cleaned it in a ultrasound-bath. And today... I used it with new blades, the Russian teflon coated Voskhod, which came in last week as well.

And, wow, it's a very nice experience, a comfortable shave. And almost BBS :) will have to work in my technique though. And will have to get used to the small handle of the Gillette, especially with the backhand-motion.

There a little inconvenience with the razor: the doors open well, only they are a little lame on the last twist of the knob. And when closed, the knob released a little a few times, causing the blades to be more exposed. Fortunately I noticed in time, but it's potential danger there near my skin. I'm sure my Gillette is not the first with this issue, I hope I described it well, and hope to find a solution for that :)

Have read somewhere, and it could well be on this gentleman's website, about another vintage classic, the Schick Krona. Hope to find one of those in mint condition at reasonable price.

Well, I'm open for all suggestions and reactions. Thank you kindly for your time.
    René.

AlDm, Paul Turner, CarlfromMO and 8 others like this.
  2. René den Hollander

René den Hollander New Member

Not sure if it's good visible on the photographs, but the knob is rounded on the bottom.
    IMG_20181126_45.jpg IMG_20181126_4142.jpg IMG_20181126_4536.jpg IMG_20181126_3428.jpg IMG_20181126_4415.jpg IMG_20181126_3863.jpg

3. brit

brit in a box

RyX likes this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you are making good progress with the latest razor.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome!

Have you tried oiling the rocket? It may just be binding and not closing completely.

RyX likes this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and Welcome!

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor

Attached Files:

brit and RyX like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

René, welcome to The Shave Den!

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Welkom bij TSD! Er zijn ook een paar Nederlanders hier. Maar ik ben gewoon een gekke Amerikaan die zichzelf Nederlands leert.

(Welcome to TSD! There are also a few Dutchies here. But, I'm just a crazy American who is teaching himself Dutch.)

Oh... En pas op voor Minions! :rofl: @macaronus
    (beware of Minions)

brit and RyX like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  11. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD! Glad you found us. This is a good site with good people. You have a nice looking Gillette Rocket, they are very nice razors. You should have an enjoyable, good shave with your razor. Enjoy your time here!

brit and RyX like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @René den Hollander! Glad you found us, and thanks for bringing your experience to the group.

From your post it sounds like you are interested in improving your shave. Finding a good razor, trying a couple different blades, some good soaps, too. Using a paint brush isn't far from a shave brush. Those that are labeled "China Bristle" are boar brushes. I've seen horse hair paint brushes, and of course synthetics.

Once you have developed your technique with that Gillette and Voskhod blades, try the Feather brand again. If you would like some coaching, tips, and trick - visit The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group. It's a bunch of Veteran shavers trying new razors, and New shavers learning vintage razors. Guaranteed fast paced conversation about all things shaving plus other topics - cars, kids, cooking, dogs, and shenanigans.

brit and dmshaver like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

16. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

17. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama!
    -----
    Danny

18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Rene' den Hollander

I hope you enjoy it here. Have you considered trying an adjustable?

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Welcome aboard. The Krona would be a great pick and would give you very comfortable shaves. The Krona's are out there but it may take a awhile to find one so don't give up. Keep looking.