Gillette razor comparison ( the ones I have anyway)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NapalmCola, Jan 5, 2016.

1. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

In a different thread the comparison between the Gillette Silver Blue and the Gillette Platinum was brought up. I happen to own a tuck of each so I decided I would compare the two just to see if I can tell a difference.

Then it hit me, why not compair all the Gillette blades I own ?

I know there are many more blades out there, these are just the ones I have on hand. If I come across any additional I will test them out as well.

So Here are the blades in the order they will be tested.

Silver Blue - Russia
    Platinum - Russia
    7 o'clock Super Platinum - Russia
    Rubie Platinum Plus - Russia
    7 o'clock Super Platinum - India
    Stainless - Russia
    Nacet Stainless - ?
    7 o'clock Super Stainless - Russia
    7 o'clock SharpEdge - Russia
    Sputnik Teflon -Russia
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    BigCabDaddy, Joef, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  2. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Awesome my fellow Russian enthusiast. Good luck on your endeavor @NapalmCola , and keep us updated! I have tried all of them except the Sputnik and Gillette red box.

NapalmCola likes this.
  3. NapalmCola

Red rider has posted a list of all the blades and there factories throughout Russia. Wow, there are alot. It looks like I will be trying out various brands and trying to see if there are any similarities between any that are named differently but made in the same factory.
    I will definitely be having to get more blades.

I will probably have to divide them into groups. Gillette first then Rapira etc.

Robyflexx and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

The Nacet blades are produced in Russia as well. I'll be interested to see your results and think you will find that even though many of these blades are made in the same factory, they are very different. At least I came to that conclusion. YMMV. :)

NapalmCola likes this.
  5. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I have tried the Nacet before and found them to be wonderfully smooth AND sharp. I do not recall them being harsh or ill mannered in any way

6. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I did not know that the Sputnik was a Gillette blade.

NapalmCola likes this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Love Nacets.

NapalmCola and Robyflexx like this.
  8. NapalmCola

From what I've gathered and on the box it is made in the Gillette factory in Moscow. Same as the Nancet. I should up date my first post and specify where in Russia.

I am trying the Gillette brands first then the Gillette St. Petersburg factory made regardless of name . Then Moscow factory, India then Vietnam etc.

9. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the test. I've never tried a Gillette DE blade.

NapalmCola likes this.
  10. NapalmCola

If your interested I would be happy so send you a few. Just shoot me a pm and we can figure out which ones you would like to try out.

AGHisBBS and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

@NapalmCola I started the thread regarding the two Russian factories because I am also curious about how these blades vary and noticed while many blades that they came from only two plants.
    I've only tried Astra SP and Voskhod (ok one Rapira with bunch). I really should have ordered a variety pack instead of 100's like I did. :scared001:
    Looking forward to the results.

NapalmCola likes this.
  12. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

For me of the ones I've tried, in order of closeness: black, silver blue, green, nacet. The silver blues are the only ones that left me with zero irritation.

NapalmCola likes this.
  13. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, that's so kind. PM incoming.

NapalmCola likes this.
  14. NapalmCola

Don't be to hard on yourself, I have a bunch of different blades and am thinking it would be nice to have a large amount of the ones I really like. The Voshkods are a great blade. The Astra SP, I haven't found a razor that likes them yet.

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Blades are so personal. To me, the Astra SP is far from a great blade in anything, but is pretty okay in everything.

AGHisBBS and NapalmCola like this.
  16. NapalmCola

I second that, we are definitely the minority for some reason on this one. There is so much praise for this blade for this period of time anyway. I'm sure there have been others in the past that came and went same as what will happen to this one. Then the next will take its place.
    But as for me, I've given them a real try. I want to like them , heck there cheap. And trendy at the moment ;)
    But they just don't do it for me compared to the other blades out there. Good thing YMMV, or there would be shortage of the blade we all like the most.

BigCabDaddy and AGHisBBS like this.
  17. NapalmCola

Let the games begin !!

Well in truth I'm running behind by four shaves. But I will fix that later.

In order to minimize the variables I will be using my:
    Gillette Blue Tip 1955 (A-4)
    Bestshave #6 horse hair brush
    C.O. Bigelow -soap
    PAA Alum block
    Humphrey's witch hazel
    Nivea -cooling post shave balm sensitive
    The one thing that will change is the AS . I have to have some variety. Besides it's after the shave anyway right ?

Following this initial post will be the first two days then the 3rd and 4th so I can be caught up for tomorrow. Hopefully, maybe it will be easier to do two at a time ? We shall see.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. NapalmCola

Day 1 : Gillette Silver Blue

WTG, XTG & ATG + touch ups
    AS- Aqua Velva Ice Blue

A great smooth irritation free shave. I have to agree with the majority out there, this is an amazing balance of sharp and smooth.
    If I have to try and use a numbering system I don't want to jump to conclusions and say 10 out of 10 this early. That would be a BBS without the need for touch ups.

This gets a solid 9
    uploadfromtaptalk1452049707629.jpg

BigCabDaddy, AGHisBBS and simms623 like this.
  19. NapalmCola

Day two: Gillette Platinum
    WTG, XTG, ATG + touch ups
    AS- Barbasol Brisk

Very difficult to tell a difference between this one and the Silver Blue. Both are sharp and smooth. The only noticeable difference was that after the 3rd pass there wasn't much left to touch up.
    Was it due to a slightly sharper blade ? Was it due to my improving technique with the razor ?
    These are more expensive than the Silver Blues. But if price was not an issue I would rate the Platinum at a 9.25

uploadfromtaptalk1452050479754.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Red Rider and AGHisBBS like this.
  20. NapalmCola

Day 3: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum
    AS- Skin Bracer Original

Are these things made in the same factory as the previous two ? According to the tuck they came out of they are. But my face and neck would have to disagree. They are sharp, but not smooth for me. A nick on my left jaw line and a few mixed in with the horrible irritation on my neck.

I had to use my styptic and multiple layers of the Nivea AS balm. I actually got desperate enough to use my wifes hand creme .

I know ymmv, but for me there are a 6.

They are sharp and they get the job done. But they are not smooth enough for my skin.

uploadfromtaptalk1452051092783.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Red Rider and AGHisBBS like this.