Gillette razors to collect

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Swampfox, Oct 15, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Some information I was told by a collector concerning that Rocket styled Milord. The razor supposedly was never sold retail and was a special made razor for Gillette company executives. Something like 20 or so of them were produced. It would explain why no retail information on this style razor has ever been found thus far.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I am partial to collecting any Gillette Fatboys and Slim Adjustables I can get a hold of.
    They have been steadily increasing in price, over the past few years.

Enrico likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is one I own that I've never seen another of so far.

It is flat bottom tech but with shoulders and made sometime in the 60s or later.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The person I bought it from was based in India and my guess is this was only sold in India and no other markets is why it is so hard to find. Is it rare yes, is it collectable probably not unless the price is right.

brit, Enrico and twhite like this.
  4. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

This looks more like a local counterfeit than a British Gillette, even the cap is asymmetric.

Adam

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Can you take a magnet to the different parts, to see if it is made of brass?
    Something just looks off about this razor. Especially if it is supposed to be a Flat Bottom Tech.

6. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Just my opinion, but I feel any of the vintage Gillettes are worth collecting. They are all wonderful pieces of history and most are great shavers. As time goes by they are all getting harder to find.

brit likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

All the parts are non magnetic. Everything about it is legit for a Gillette razor, the logo is legit for 60s and later razors made for non Anglo markets, the cap is the later style sans shoulders for Techs made 60s and upwards the handle is a mid to late 60s era British Tech style handle, also that handle coincides with when they changed the caps and guards on Techs in the early 60s.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If it was a counterfit the shoulders would look like someone soldered them and be sloppy. The cap is also correct to later 60s style Tech razors by the sides as can be seen here. Pre guard change had the the old style, post guard redesign new style cap.

1961 Tech Super Blue Blade beschriftet Logo.jpg 1966 (L1) Tech Super Stainless.JPG

The crease in the cap is also something seen on other flat bottom techs like this Canadian made version. You can also see it is older style of caps that had flat sides.
    20210205_133133_edited.jpg 20210205_133214_edited_edited.jpg

brit and DaltonGang like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

For what it's worth, I think @BBS has an India model Gillette. The knurling on the handle is proper, the base and top plate font looks appropriate. Finally the shape of the cap looks right ...... I'd say it's from the 60's-70's

If the handle is brass I'd lean more towards British, but those are marked "Made in England" hence I think it is made in India.

:happy088:Very nice razor, I like picking them up from Argentina and Brazil as well.

:eatdrink013:

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yes all the little details jive and don't contradict each other like a counterfit usually does. You can also see the original Gillette logo that was on the cap though it has faded. Handle is non magnetic whether it is brass or aluminum I don't know but it is the British version of that style of handle. My guess and it would at least explain the cap being a 60s era piece even though the flat bottom tech didn't make it that long is that this is actually made from Rotbart razor parts. I'd have to research it some more but I am pretty sure Gillette kept making this style of razor head on Rotbart razors until the 60s when they went to the Slim Twist / Knack design. Why they put shoulders on it I don't know but Gillette was known for taking surplus inventory and piecing it together with whatever they had then selling it in a foreign market until they used up the surplus parts.

brit and Enrico like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Speaking of rare and collectible. This particular Brazilian Goodwill razor I think is the only one ever produced anywhere that wasn't an open comb design. What is more interesting is this is based on the new short comb design not the new long comb which came afterwards.
    Brazil_SB_Goodwill.jpg

brit likes this.
  12. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Handle, not Gillette.
    Two types of letter e in Gillette.
    Ever saw a Gillette England without made in?
    Asymmetric cap.
    Asymmetric drain holes.
    Asymmetric slots.
    Two piece cap and screw.
    Why soldering? It’s stamped.
    Hard to belive that they set up a line to produce “shitty” razors for India. And afaik there was no Gillette plant in India.

It’s not a Gillette, nor Rotbart (the stamped base plate was used in the 50ies or late 40ies by Roth&Büchner, before switching to the cast Tech type base plate).

brit likes this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yes, on the first 2 on later 60s open comb Techs made for non Anglo markets. The asymmetry is due to the picture angle, the only things off center are the shoulder slots but they are symmetric and a DE blade fits fine over them. They have to be that way because of the blades.

Too much work for too little return to be a counterfeit. Best case scenario for your argument is it was done by the original owner for themselves. You are entitled to your opinion but all the details point to it being legit. Putting shoulders on it is the curious detail and what makes it stand out in the first place.

Enrico likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To add I checked the handle against an aluminum tech handle and the one on this razor is brass not aluminum.

Enrico likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

just for your reference,the canadian flat bottom razor cap is unique and has a flat section in the center from having 2 creases,the brit one has one crease in the center.

16. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Completely disagree with this. My collection is certainly an investment.
    One day I'll sell off piece by piece until I've got the $$ for a used porsche...that's my plan anyway lol.
    There are many pieces I won't consider selling however...1934 aristocrat, toggle, hybrid tech to name a few!

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Gillette usually gave the one-off limited run razors like these to Regional managers and above.

Every collector is an investor. If these razors had no value, no one would collect them.

My vintage woodworking tools are investments. I buy the absolute best quality hand tools I can afford, while always looking for a bargain. Many a tool I own has the equivalent of 'trench art' carved into it, which lowers the value, makes it more interesting, and doesn't affect the function.

I've already seen the value of that collection double this past year. When I'm too old to use them, they will either be sold or given to a new generation of wood workers. Same deal with my razors.

BBS, Old School, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Sadly or maybe not as long as there is a buyer at the back end these collector investments will outperform the stock market this year the way things are going.

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, the problem is that I'm going to end up trying to buy in 6 months what ought to take 6 years because of skyrocketing inflation and so many people deciding they want to start a hobby.
    If I don't buy now, I may not be able to afford to buy later.

User grade tools are fetching collectible prices right now. Not sure if the vintage Gillette razor market is going the same direction.

brit likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Blades will be where it's at, if things keep going downhill. Which they will.

PLANofMAN, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.