Gillette Red Flair Tip Cases

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Dec 22, 2019.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've seen red and clear cases for early Flair Tips and on later Red Tips. I'm just wondering if it's the same case, or is the Red Tip case a darker shade of red.

brit likes this.
  2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

This is my Red tip case.. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

RyX and brit like this.
  3. stuartganis

Here's another red case I just remembered I have,
    got that one without a razor, hope it helps. [​IMG]

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i think the darker red case is the redtip one..but could be very wrong as well..

5. jimjo1031

That's what I usually see, two different shades of red on those cases. I'm looking for a case for my Red Tip and yours without the razor is what I was looking for.

brit likes this.
  6. stuartganis

Are you telling me my red tip has been living in the wrong house?

7. stuartganis

What is the other red case for?

8. jimjo1031

From what I've seen, the darker is the one for the Red Tip, and the other, for early Flair Tips. It's why I was asking as the lighter one I've also seen with Red Tips.

brit likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

1954 (Z1) first Flare Tip Super-Speed from Leon.jpg

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. jimjo1031

That's what I went by. It's just that I've seen both cases used for Red Tips and wanted to make sure. The different ones I've seen could also be explained by the quality of the pics. It's hard to find a Red Tip case by itself for sale.

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i have only seen complete red tip sets with the darker case,but that doesn't mean a lot..:)..i am sure many caseless ones acquired new cases over the years as well..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

My Red Tip is a B4, but trying to get a C4 birth year/month to go with my Blue Tip, Regular and Tech to complete the Gillettes.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

very cool.the only red tip i have now is a late 50s brit rocket version..will keep an eye out..saw a red tip at a local antique shop recently.no case though.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I have three NOS on a counter top display and they are in the darker maroon red. It is also the color of the display

B8964654-6073-4D44-A976-B5F1D70306DA.jpeg C3F2827F-C40E-4BF1-8B2D-39CC6A457E1C.jpeg

RyX, mr-razor, Juno and 4 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

very cool..same shade as the knob..

16. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

One more thing I always pondered is the use of the word “heavy”. I seen marketing referring to a heavy beard was best removed with a red tip. “Light” referred to a light beard was best removed with a blue tip. On the display, heavy refers to weight of razor. These are date code A, so they are early. Was HEAVY originally one meaning and changed to another? Coincidentally, blue tips have aluminum handles so they are lighter in weight

RyX and brit like this.
  17. jimjo1031

Well, finally found a birth year/month Red Tip in really good shape and took his offer on it, no case though. Now to hopefully sell mine.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

good question.the red tip does have a larger blade gap than a blue or regular.the brit red tip rocket blade gap is larger still..the heavier weight contributes to the cutting action..

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jim ,congrats..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  20. stuartganis

Thanks to you and Jimjo informing me about the Red Tip case I spent the rest of the day moving my razors to their proper houses, you guys could have offered me some help moving. [​IMG]