Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I just noticed you got your title! :D

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I got it late last week. :cool: I don't know who to thank either?

:thanks

3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

I know red tip rockets are rare, but this is the first I've seen a blue tip rocket. Your collection makes my one HD rocket look lonely.

4. Mr.Gentleman

Mr.Gentleman New Member

I am amazed! I never knew that there is such difference!
    Thanks for this post!;)

5. chimes13

chimes13 New Member

Did they make rhodium plated not tv style flair tip rockets? I found one that to me looks like it is.
    [​IMG]

6. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

It really wouldn't surprise me if they did. I still don't know why the TV's were plated in Rhodium? My best guess is there was a matching promotion for them sometime in the late 50's.

Do you have a picture Chimes? Are there any other distinguishing marks?

7. chimes13

chimes13 New Member

It's the one on the right in the picture above. It is next to a TV rocket. It may actually just be a normal rocket but since it is unused it is very shiny and polished. I can't tell the difference in the silo doors between the two and it looks just like a rhodium plated aristocrat.

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Thanks I see it now, I was having some strange connection problems and apparently didn't let it load completely.

It looks like a normal, but exceptionally shiny, flare tip to me. Nice one!

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Show Chris the shot of the three side by side.

10. chimes13

chimes13 New Member

Here it is with a TV and a #21. Thanks for all the input.
    [​IMG]

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

wow, kind of looks like the head of your TV is not Rhodium? At least from the pictures, but the handle does look Rhodium. Strange.

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The heads on the TV's are nickel as far as I know. I had one that was so dark it looked like it was two tone silver plated and badly tarnished, the handle of course gleamed with bright Rhodium. The head polished up to an excellent condition shiny nickel with a LOT of work. The American Executives are made the same way, rhodium handle nickel head

13. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Interesting, I was pretty sure my TV head was rhodium. Shines like my other rhodium razors, but maybe they just plated them better. I should photograph it side by side with another rhodium razor, it really stands out in the picture above.

14. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

It was one of these, I think the left one. The head was nearly black when I got it.

[​IMG]

Edit: That #66 you sold last week was constructed the same. I remember thinking the head would polish up to nearly new condition.

15. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Updated and re organized with an end capped "S" code Flare Tip like Scottydoint's and a few more pictures.

16. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Here is my J2 dated Rocket. The razor is mechanically shot since I can't even get it opened:( That probably has something to do with the gap between the tto and the handle is so small.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Wow they just keep coming. I wonder what could have happened? Dropped from a great height onto the Flare Tip?

18. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

What's all this silliness going on over here?
    Nice article Chris.. took me F O R E V E R to read it.. but that's a good thing!
    Cya around ;)

19. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Hi Scott! Nice to see you around too! Welcome and make yourself at home. :D

20. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Wow, Chris. That's a fantastic write-up.

(Whistles as I go off to look for my own 3-gallon container of DEs...)