Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. stubblefree

stubblefree New Member

That is an amazing writeup.WOW!!??......superb compilation of info' on Rocket.Kepp up great work.

2. faceslice

faceslice New Member

hi
    really liked this thread.
    nice to see all the differances close up
    faceslice;);)

3. heirkb

heirkb New Member

Darn this thread!! The knowledge here lay in my mind for months and now I have RAD (Rocket AD). Two HD Rockets, a gold rocket, a TV rocket, a regular rocket, an Aristocrat Jr., and one of those weird American Rockets. I'm going broke here!

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Did you snag that American Rocket that was just on ebay? I was surprised that it went as low as it did.

5. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

Very nice compilation and a great reference guide.

I just made my first purchase for a British Rocket and waiting for it to arrive.

6. heirkb

heirkb New Member

I did indeed get that one. I was pretty happy with the price ;)
    Then the razor got to me...it was poorly packaged and now the head is bent in a weird way. :mad: I'm asking a member on B&B who has dealt with this type of problem for a little help
    Any help would be greatly appreciated though!

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Oh, what a shame! I would be heart broken.

8. heirkb

heirkb New Member

I am. Especially since this is one of those one of a kind (or two) type razors

9. kjparker

kjparker Member

Hello, and my new find!

Hello, First post here! been hanigng out on B&B but stumbled on this board looking for informaiton on my latest find!

Picked this little beauty up today at the local markets.

I'm torn what to do with it. Do I shave with it, and destroy one of proably the few NOS rocket sets out there, stock pile it, or flip it on the bay!

I'm leaning towards using it.

I believe it to be a rocket hd. It feels like the handle is aluminum, no patent number, has patent pending stamped under the blade bar, and made in england on the underside. Would my guess be correct?

I cant post pics, so if someone could pm me and I will send you links to them to show it please?

10. kjparker

kjparker Member

Here are the pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brit likes this.
  11. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

You certainly have an aluminum Rocket HD there. And in absolutely fabulous condition!! If you use that I will come and get you!! Just kidding - if you must, enjoy it. Better yet, hold on to it.

Clearly, the packaging is identifying this as an Anniversary Edition. I am not clear on when Gillette Britain celebrated the 50th. It is likely 1954, but could be as early as 1951. Then again, others have identified the 52A model as being 1955 (see Mr Razors site for numerous models - http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece%20solid%20guard%20bar/solid%20guard%20bar.htm The razor he has posted in the 52A Anniversary set is a different razor however - the one with the serial number. It also has newer blades - it would be helpful to check the date code on your blade package. Yours is likely a slightly earlier model, although it may have overlapped with this time period depending how many were kicking around at the factory. However, I would think that the 'anniversary' models should have come out in the same year.

So, absolutely a Rocket HD - congrats! Why there is a discrepancy between the type of razor in your kit and Mr Razors kit I am unsure of. Also, the exact year of the Anniversary I seem to have forgotten and have not recorded anywhere. Perhaps a resident genius will come along and clear this up!

12. kjparker

kjparker Member

Thaks for the feedback. I dont think I'll be shaving with it anytime soon.

I told SWMBO what it was, and what it could be worth, she said "your not using it." She's a keeper this one (both the razor and SWMBO) :)

13. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Awesome, what else can be said.
    Very informative , thanks.
    Fantastic write up.

14. captbart

captbart New Member

Definitely need to write a book!

15. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

What a collection!

16. geogaga

geogaga Member

A bucket of razors? A bucket of... er-er... razors? Oh, my goodness :) This is a field to satisfy RAD :whacky011

17. Cmaster03

Cmaster03 New Member

Wonderful treatise on the Rocket. Wow!

18. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

:confused:Thanks for a wonderful and comprehensive explaination of the various Gillette razors. If you were to advise a newbie, which razor should I start with and where would I find it other than ebay or sorting through antique shops? Doug

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den Doug, a great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Be sure to sign up for the April Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

While its not required, how about you hop over to the Newbies Section and give yourself a proper introduction thread, I'm sure you'll receive many warm welcomes from the friendly folks of this community.

If you haven't already found it, have a look at the Shave School Master Sticky, lots of links to great advice and videos found there.

I really like the 40's style Super Speeds myself, and keep an eye open in the Classified section, they pop up from time to time.

20. deano

deano New Member

is this real gold? and whats it worth?

hi i found this razor and was looking on google and found this site. I tested if it was gold and it said it was and its 60.3 grams, it looks similar to some of the razors on this post.

can anyone help,
    cheers
    deano

Attached Files: