Gillette SS: Best year?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DesertTime, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello all, I have many of the Super Speeds from all different years. IMHO the 40's style SS are the best shavers. The 1947 is the best of those. Then there's the 1950's Red Tip. (Equally as pleasing for me to use is the Blue Tip). Then my 1966 standard Flare Tip. Then all others.
    In my case I found there are some razors that should be mild, but are not. Such is the Blue Tip. I get fantastic shaves from that razor. Also noted is my 1966 Flare Tip. It should be mild, but it too gives a better shave than its 1950's and 1960's counterparts. I imagine many factors can have an affect on how a razor will shave. Even though the assembly line process is designed to eliminate stray variables, any number of things can affect a razor, one way or another.

RyX likes this.
  2. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

IMHO, I think 1951 was right up there at the top. Highly efficient yet not bloody dangerous with some skill required, but not too much? I have a 51 Milord and a 51 SS. Both seem the same when it comes to shaving.

RyX and Morman Bridge like this.
  3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I'm partial to my birthday razor a Z-4 Super Speed (54). It was my first vintage. Based on a comparison of a 55 and 74 I used I'm partial to the 1940's design but I must admit that the 55 & 74 also gave a fine shave.

4. WetShave58

WetShave58 Well-Known Member

My favorte is the 1947 un notched however my favorites are the predecessors to the SS the Ranger Tech.
    sffds.jpg

Cearball, RyX, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  5. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree with you more. The Ranger Techs and the early safety bar Aristocrats can't be beat. By the way nice Ranger Techs! Have a great day!

Cearball likes this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have several SS razors and my favorite is my 1953. I get great shaves from all of them, but my 1953 really stand out for some reason.

7. Gerry Canter

Gerry Canter Member

I have a 1955 and a 1949; both are in mint condition. The '49 just feels better to me. Very smooth.

Morman Bridge likes this.
  8. 24Fanatic365

24Fanatic365 Active Member

Whoa!! Nice thread resurrection there, TCBENNETT55! Gotta love some SS discussions!

I think my favorite 3 Super Speeds are my Black Tip, my Red Tip, and my Blue Tip. So apparently, the 50s rule in my book! Lol!

9. Herk

Herk Member

My favorite razor is a 52 Super Speed (40s) style. For me it is a tad more aggressive than a standard flair tip. I like the balance of the razor a bit better too.

Morman Bridge likes this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've got a NDC SS, a '53 and a '58 TV Special and, frankly, can't tell the difference. I know many of you love the earlier SS, what am I missing?

11. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

What I really see from this thread is that some people get the best from different years of the same models of razors. Something makes it special for them. Some intangible experience? Same razors, same years, but different experiences and preferences? Feelings are hard to pinpoint! But, Welcome to favorites in the manufacturing world? Like clothes, the fit and feel is most important to some and not to all! Good old American manufacturing and machining? Could I go on? Maybe?

Jim99 and Morman Bridge like this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

You make a good point. YMMV, right?

13. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

YMMV, absolutely! And liking and appreciating and enjoying, all with very little difficulty comes to mind!! A carpenter has a favorite hammer, a clerk has a favorite pen, etc., etc., etc.! Cost has nothing to do with it. Value is in the eye of the beholder. I've said before that one & done with a razor blade that costs 8 or 9 cents, or with any razor blade at whatever the cost, is looked on as heresy by others? Go figure!!! Then there's that gas mileage obsession???

14. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I've a 51 that is great to shave with and a 66 Flare tip that is also great. The 66 was my first vintage razor and also my first "best shave ever". I'm a real fan of the SS!

RyX, Jim99 and Morman Bridge like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Had my second shave this morning with my '56 SS. New Feather blade. Results were excellent, but there was definitely an aggression there.

16. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

I love my Super Speeds. I think I have one from every variant and generation, including the three different 70s-80s models, and the precursors to the Super Speed.

Of all of these, the '47 un-notched Super Speed is the smoothest named "Super Speed", and is similar to the Milords and Ranger Techs. The head geometry is pretty much the same from 41-47, then 48-57, then 57-73, then 73-86. Outside of the precursors, my 1980 is the next best. I find that the British models, while a little different in design, feel almost the same as the 48-73 variants.

But all are great value for money in vintage shaving.

Cheers!

RyX, Herm2502, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

These are what I have for Superspeed types. image.jpeg

Cearball, RyX, Herm2502 and 4 others like this.
  18. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

My own collection:[​IMG]

RyX, Jim99, Greg Becker and 1 other person like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Well Gillette was still tweaking exposure and blade angle until the early 1950's. After that, the standard super speeds became progressively milder over the years, culminating in the '70's style super speed (starting in 1966?) When they went to a flatter head profile. That profile was maintained until they quit making the super speed razor in the late 1980's.

RyX likes this.
  20. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

1947 Gillette Ranger Tech / Super Speed hybrid razor

Cearball likes this.