Gillette SS: Best year?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DesertTime, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Excellent information!

I do wonder how much variation there was in the manufacturing process for any particular year/run that makes us like one year over another. Closer tolerances that day, or a trainee on the assembly line? Could it be like buying a car made on a Friday?

RyX likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    This is a generalization... Typically, the older the TTO razor, the tighter the tolerances. That being said, the only instance in which I've heard of the same model/year Gillette razor shaving significantly differently (from each other) were the '51-'53 razors. The blade angle and blade gap designs were constantly being tweaked and adjustments to the razors could change from month to month. In 1954 Gillette had figured out what worked, and introduced the color coded handle knobs representing light (mild) and heavy (aggressive) models. Two years later they introduced their first adjustable razor.

RyX, Jim99 and Herm2502 like this.
  3. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

Interesting, I have found them to be fairly consistent from year to year.

One correction that I must add though. The lower profile head design started in the middle of 1957, and corresponds with the thinner TTO knob material. I have found the blade doors of the 48-57 models interchangeable. In fact, they can be used with a slight modification, in Fat Boys.

That same low profile head design persisted until about 1973. Thus, the doors from 1957-73 are interchangeable. I think they also eliminated the set retention screw in the TTO knob at this time as well. In '73, they went to the less angular stamping in the base plate, and took off the turned down ends to allow better water flow for rinsing. The absence of the turned down ends makes it look like an Adjustable model from the end. They also added notches into retention tabs on the blade doors about that time too.

RyX, PLANofMAN and Jim99 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

British ones dont have a year, and they are the best.

6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

The '51-'53 razors (i.e., Black Tip SS) are also interesting in that there was a shortage of Brass (for the Korean War) which caused Gillette to use a number of other materials including Steel and Aluminum. Moreover, there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency as to how these materials were used.

RyX likes this.
  7. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I can't compare SS razors from personal experience as I have only a second quarter 1956 Red Tip - manufactured when Mickey Mantle was starting his famous triple crown season - but I can say that for me Gillette got it exactly right for a guy with a course salt and pepper beard. I can't imagine that another year's SS razor would perform better for me than my '56.

8. Streambrewer

Interesting observation for me: of the six or so British models, they felt exactly the same in terms of shaving performance as my American ones. They do look nice.

alpla444 likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I haven't tried the British rockets, but the British Aristocrat Juniors are superior to their super speed counterparts, inasmuch as the two can be compared. The Brit Aristocrats are definitely far superior to the American made Aristocrats in construction quality.

10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I was only joking as nobody had mentioned the British ones, I have 5 British SS razors, I have few USA ones as well, the Brits are better build quality but the shaves are very similar as you say.

Cearball likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Super Speeds or Rockets? Brit Super Speeds are fairly rare.

12. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have both Superspeeds and Rockets

P1070766(1).JPG
    Top rocket travel set
    bottom Blue Tip Superspeed, TV Rocket and Red Tip Superspeed.

(I have a couple of these razors as duplicates that are in my rotation these are in a cabinet) I DONT have much in the the way of a collection, just a few odd bits of some razor bits nothing really rare or hard to come by.

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That rocket travel set wouldn't be rhodium plated by chance? I remember there was a rhodium plated hotel/travel set, but I can't remember if it was British or American.

14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

No the travel set is not Rhodium plated, well I am pretty sure it is not, the TV Rocket is (well the handle is) as can be seen by the bling of it compared to the surrounding razors, to be honest I have never shaved with any of the above razors.

I have a duplicate TV Rocket that is my go to DE razor, I have had duplicates of the red and blues but since sold em only tried the RED tip never the blue, no idea why just didnt, that said 90%++ of my shaves over the last 2 years have all been with straights, so that accounts for the why I suppose.

15. Streambrewer

No worries, I agree with you completely.

The Aristocrat models are definitely different from the Rockets, and different from one another. More of a difference I perceive (I haven't measured) than between the US Aristocrat models and the Super Speed models.

16. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Tough call here...I've got quite the selection of Super Speeds, but I think the best performer would have to be my '56. My flare-tip Rocket comes in today, so I'll try it tonight. Don't think it'll change my mind, though.

17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have tried almost all the British Aristocrats, but never really like the shaves as much as my USA 1940's Aristocrat yes its on the mild side but one of my favorite shavers.

Back on topic I also like the 1958 TV superspeed thats possible my favorite USA made Superspeed, I did try an early SS but that was when I was starting out and have since sold it, maybe I was a bit quick to dismiss it.

Cearball likes this.