gillette super speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fred21, Jun 21, 2020.

1. fred21

fred21 New Member

hello.

it's a super speed, but the head is different. an idea of the model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is an interesting piece. It looks like it is notched, but it has no end caps. It may be a pieced together razor around 1948. It looks really nice, too. Any indication of USA, England, or Canada? no date code?

3. fred21

fred21 New Member

I will see, I bought it.

maybe this one.

These were one of the few razors made in England that did not have a retracting Rocket style 'knob.' Instead, they used the American style '40's Super Speed handle, complete with the crimped band above the TTO mechanism. They also featured 'wings' on the ends of the blade alignment bar, and no end caps. They were made of brass, and nickel plated, and share the same head design as the #21 Aristocrat. They will always have Brit. Patent 430,030 stamped into the bottom of the baseplates, like many other British razors from that time period.

The fastest way to identify these razors is to ask two questions. Does it have a flat baseplate? Does it have a crimped band above the TTO knob? If the answer to both of those is yes, then it is a 1948-1949 Aristocrat Junior.

https://theshaveden.com/forums/thre...-the-gillette-aristocrat-junior-razors.51292/

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Looks like a 1940s no date superspeed, I've got the same razor, shaves good.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    But the razor in the pictures does not have a flat baseplate. It has a stamped baseplate.

Am I missing something?
    :signs002:

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

none of the non rocket style superspeeds were produced in england..if you look closely at your top photo ,looks like someone removed the end caps.then it could be a canadian rocket set dependent on case manufacture..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    PLANofMAN likes this.