Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Drew, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Drew

Drew Member

Just acquired a Tech, I overpaid for it, but that's another story. It shaves really well. I'm by no means a newbie, but I've found the black handled superspeed and the Tech to be great shavers, plenty aggressive to be BBS after 2 passes... what more could you want? One doesn't need to be as cautious as when using something like a slant, yet the results are the same... at least for me they are.

So, don't feel like you're in the minor leagues if you like the Tech and want to stay there. It has been pigeon-holed as a beginner's razor. I've only used it once, but it is making a strong case to be my #1 shaver.

regards,
    Drew

2. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

What model Tech do you have? Some variations shave a bit different than others. I personally prefer the older Fat Handled Techs (No Date Code). That was one of the first razors I ever used, and I still have one in my rotation today...........

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Tech's are smooth, easy shavers. I find they need a really sharp blade to work for me but I like 'em. Got 4 that I enjoy.

4. Drew

Drew Member

it's a gold fat-handled, no date. Has nice weight, easy to grip handle, etc. etc. Impressive little work horse!

best
    Drew

5. ssilcox

ssilcox Member

I'd suggest that the Tech is the most underrated and undervalued razor out there. They are great shavers!!

6. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Out of curiosity how much did you pay? I got screwed on my first ball tip tech but its all good. These are damn good shavers and 1 of my 2 favorite razors out there. The angle of the blade just cant be beat for some reason.

7. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

My ball end tech is one of my favorite razors and the one I shave with on most days, great results and no irritation.

8. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I have to wait another week to hear about a silent auction I bid in for an absolutely mint canadian made ball end with a patent date of 1932. Brand new shape. But, I hate waiting! I'm cheap too, so I put $6.01 on it hoping nobody in this store would want to put more on it. I am nervous though! I want the dern thing. I could put a higher bid on it .... I really like shaving with a Tech.

9. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

I have that razor and shaved with it for the first time today. Impressive, indeed. I used a Derby blade today. The next time I'll opt for a sharper blade, perhaps a Lord Super Stainless.

10. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

I don't have a fat-handle, & haven't shaved with one. But I've shaved twice now with a recently bought nickel-plated, '50s vintage(Z-3) frosted-head ball-tip Tech. The top cap on this version is heavier & thicker than any on my other types of Techs(a GI, a no-date gold, & a Travel stubby), and IMO heavy is good. Tonight I put a new Wilkinson Sword Classic White Label(Germany) in it- and it shaved beautifully, on whiskers grown too long, a tough test. *Everyone* should have at least one Gillette Tech.:happy088

11. Drew

Drew Member

I've now used it twice, and it is making an even stronger case to be my #1 shaver (w/ red personna blade).

regards,
    Drew

12. rainman

rainman New Member

Can anyone do a comparison from a gillette tech to a lord tech style razor?

13. Corey

Corey Member

I love my ball end Tech. It's my current favorite, edging out my Aristocrat. It seems like you can't make any mistakes with the razor, it just does its job with no irritation or nicks and cuts.

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have bid on these razors before and have one an an auction or two but I have a strict policy: Never pay what the item is worth on the open market, always pay less then open market prices. Right now I can get the item for $9.50 plus shiping, so $12 is the most I'll pay for the item. I can get this now.

Always trying to do what darkaudit did, find idiots that have no idea what their product is worth and get the hardware for a song.