Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bscarpenter, May 17, 2017.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I've been VERY busy. As we all know sometimes life gets in the way of shaving. Also, I've been focusing on straights which takes even more of my allotted shaving time. So, in the mean time, every weekday morning while I shower, I decide what soap, aftershave and cologne combo will suite my mood for the day. I jump out of the shower and lather up. For a couple of months, I've been reaching for my pre-loaded (blade changed once per week astra or GSB) ball handle Gillette tech. I proceed with a quick two pass shave and don't even think about technique. After about 4 1/2 minutes, I rinse off & splash on with a DFS.

The tech seems to be bullet proof. I get a close shave with no nicks, cuts, weepers or any irritation consistently. All of my other safety razors have been neglected. I will start a rotation soon, but in the mean time, my least expensive razor has been giving me consistently good shaves without fail.
    $_35.JPG

2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The Tech is a very solid razor. I will always have a couple in rotation. Inexpensive AND automatic is a keeper.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I occasionally use a tech, lol

IMG_20170517_091401.jpg

4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Dang! You are Technically prepared to shave!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

You're missing a couple.

I picked up a fat handle tech that appears to have a Zamak head. It's bubbling under the chrome plating. (lacquered gold plating over chrome).

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a fine looking tech. I have several travel tech and of course my Fat Handle Tech. They are pretty bullet proof.

CarlfromMO likes this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

I am working on it. I am specifically still looking for a psycho tech, a 4 piece tech, and bakelite techs in various colors

8. Bookworm

I'd love to have a psycho myself, but they're expensive when they hit the sites, and never have a key. Key's not that big of a deal, I could make one.

I have to wonder - why don't prisons still use them? It'd be a LOT harder to make a shiv from that than the slivers they can break out of a disposable.

9. Bookworm

Ah - you also need two travel techs (maybe three if you include the boxed one). One in the plastic fold over case, usually pitched as a lady's razor, and in the red leather zipper case. (Unless you just want the razor, and not the 'razor', in which case you have one in a plastic bag)

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Before I had my tech, I really thought they were sub par razors. I've now had one for the past year and I'll never part with it. It's a great razor!

11. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

The Tech is a really solid razor. My favorite is the No Date Code Post-War Tech. I have a few of them. They just work every time.

CarlfromMO likes this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

I will admit that my timeless razor is more efficient, but I can get a BBS with a tech Everytime with no weepers and zero irritation. They also cost a lot less.

CarlfromMO and Jim99 like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

My favorite is a pre-war Cubano colorway from Delta echo razors. It appears in many of my SOTD pics. It is in the center of my tech collection pic above.

dkeester likes this.
  14. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

One of my top two or three razors.

CarlfromMO likes this.
  15. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

My favorite DE of all time! I prefer my Pre-War Fat Handled (Triangular Holes) that has been re-plated. Smooth, efficient, and a wonderfully mild shaver. It is the only DE I even own anymore - I only have my current one and one as a backup. The Tech seems to be perfect for my face.

CarlfromMO likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I heard Gillette is going to reissue the Tech.

:scared003:

17. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

18. Straight razor dandy

19. Bookworm

Okay - figured out what I just picked up.

It's a WW-II era Gold Fat Handled tech, with massive plating loss on the cap. The cap appears to be steel, the base/anvil brass, the knob brass, and the handle itself aluminium. What threw me is the solid bar on the cap, rather than the two short bars. Interesting enough, the plating on the head is intact - but appears to be bubbling slightly like there's pest underneath.

20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

There are many variations just on Techs for service personnel and civilians. Also different Techs in travel or in shaving kits made by other companies using Techs besides Gillette. You could probably write a book just on Techs, Ok, maybe a pamphlet.