Gillette Techmatic and injector timeline

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Aug 5, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This thread is a summary of key additions and removal of these items from the market for sale. Dates are approximate. I am not including source materials that back these dates up because frankly I am too lazy to do the editing needed right now but the dates can be independently verified using a source like newspapers.com

In the beginning the first instances of injectors (blades only) and Techmatic razors happens in 1964. The Techmatic razors were only sold in a trial market in Buffalo, NY before being sold nationally in 1965. Techmatic razors enjoyed a suprisingly long run from 1965 - 1984 and by mail order only in 1985-??.

The Gillette injector blades in their various incarnations sold from 1964 - 1984 with them and Schick introducing Twin injector blades in 1973. The introduction of the Trac II twin injector blades coincides with Gillette introducing their first injector razor. From 1973 - 1975 the razor was branded as a Trac II twin injector, from 1975 - 1980 it was branded as a Twinjector.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Veddy nice and timely...

Love to see a techmatic for dummies.

brit likes this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm surprised, shocked, that the Techmatic was around that long give how badly they (are said to) shave.

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

2 razor variants to add. First are the Lady Techmatics which I didn't mention. They produced these between 1971 and 1976.
    The second variant is a vibrating electric version of the Techmatic called an Orbitor 4000, these were also produced between 1971 and 1976.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Full page adverts as attachments

First instance of the Lady Techmatic in 1971
    The_Capital_Journal_Wed__Sep_15__1971_lady.jpg

Last instance of the Lady Techmatic in 1976
    1976ad-lady.jpg

First instance of the Orbitor 4000 in 1971
    1971ad-orbit.jpg

Last instance of the Orbitor 4000 in 1976
    1976ad_orbit.jpg

Attached Files:

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The cartridges for the Techmatics came in 2 major configurations, non adjustable and adjustable bands. The non adjustable bands were sold between 1965 - 1968 and adjustable bands from 1968 - 1988/89. The shave head geometry would have also been altered when they switched over so both cartridges should shave differently regardless of handle used.

Full page ads as seperate attachments.

Non adjustable band cartridges sold from 1965 - 1968
    nonadjust.jpg

advert from 1967
    1967ad.jpg

last instance early 1968
    1968ad_old.jpg

adjustable band cartridges sold from 1968 - 1984
    adjust.jpg

first instance in 1968
    1968ad_new.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Droo78 likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Article from 1965 talking about the upcoming introduction of the Techmatic razor by Gillette.
    1965_article.jpg

One of the first instances of it formally for sale by a retailer about 1 month later.
    1965ad.jpg

Last instance being sold by a retailer in 1984
    1984ad.jpg

Article about the Techmatic still being available through mail order in 1985
    1985.jpg
    Full page article as seperate attachment.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Gillette injector razors

First instances of the razor branded as a Trac II twin injector and twin blades in 1973
    1973ad.jpg

Brand name change to Twinjector in 1975
    1975ad.jpg

Last instance in 1980
    1980ad.jpg

Attached Files:

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update. I corrected some information in the first post and added a bunch of new timelines and models not mentioned like the Lady Techmatics and Orbitor 4000.

10. haiti222

haiti222 Member

As noted in another thread, when I worked at Osco Drugs in 1988-89, there were still band razor refills available for sale, and I believe they were Gillette. I was actually able to buy a Wilkinson Bonded razor and cartridges when I worked there at that time.

BBS likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Information updated concerning the band cartridges. Thanks for chiming in with that.

12. AussieTanker

AussieTanker New Member

Reviving an old thread.

Was there any difference between the techmatic razors themselves between 1965 to 1985 ie were there different techmatic razor models or were they all the same, with the only variation in the cartridges, as discussed above. They don't seem to be listed on Mr razors site, unless I missed it somehow.