-Gillette's-Finest-Razors-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Jun 16, 2021.

1. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Best looking handle I've seen. Nicceeee Gary. :eatdrink047:

brit likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

awesome gillette new razors Jason.thank you for sharing them here.:cool::eatdrink047:

jtspartan and MacDaDad like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

thank you Mac.i acquire the karve handle especially for this razor..quite a hefty beast..;):eatdrink047:

MacDaDad likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

late 1st gen #15 brit ariatocrat
    rhodium plated430030 baseplate

20211029_102005_edited.jpg

5. HDSledge

HDSledge Active Member

This century old single ring is far from a minty set but it struck me as a better submission than some I own that have been used less frequently over the years. The age is apparent in the patina and case wear. With a nice clean mostly unused set you lose the feeling that you are holding something over 100 years old. Still shaves as good today as back then. I don't have too many century old tools that I use every day. My hat's off to King Gillette.
    100_5478.JPG I have a few shiny examples but I never polish one I find like this. It's got too much mojo the way it is.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Aztecmike, brit, IAmTheJody and 3 others like this.
  6. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Wow, I love that abc set. I always shy away from the engraved ones, but I'd snatch that up in a minute! Lmk when you're tired of it!

brit and HDSledge like this.
  7. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

When I was a young boy, I would sometimes sneak a peek in clamshell box on my grandfather's dresser to gaze at a gold TTO Gillette razor. I have not idea what model it was. For all I can remember, it may have even been a Toggle, but most likely it was some variety of Aristocrat or Executive. Anyway, whenever I looked at it I thought it exuded an air of gentlemanly dignity. Oh how I wish I knew what ever happened to that beautiful razor. There were also 3 or 4 straight edge razors that have disappeared with no one knowing where they went in the 40-some intervening years.

I found an undated 1947-50 fat handle Tech on the 'bay when I began my traditional shaving. It is not pretty, and I won it for only $3. I purchased it because everyone should try a Tech, but mostly because it reminds me of my grandfather, his service in WWII in the US Navy, and the birth year(s) of my parents. I see this Tech and remember the beautiful razor he treasured so much he kept it on his dresser and as far as I know, never used.
    IMG_20211030_102817982.jpg
    IMG_20211030_102840309.jpg

Aztecmike, GatorJoe, MacDaDad and 4 others like this.
  8. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Flare Tip (black handle) / Parker Blade [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Aztecmike, MacDaDad and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

very cool set..i am torn about polishing these silver plate razors as it doesn't take long for them to turn black again.if it took a century to tarnish that would be different..i have heard the tarnish isn't so good for you when using it..

10. brit

brit in a box

very cool.my grandad was a gillette man from ww2 onwards or earlier,he is the reason i collect and use 1930s-50s british gillettes:):eatdrink047:

stuartganis, MacDaDad and ewk like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

cool black handled flare tip Stuart..:cool:

stuartganis likes this.
  12. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  13. HDSledge

HDSledge Active Member

I agree. If I use one a lot the patina rapidly wears off in spots and then I have no choice but to shine it all up a bit.

Unless you are sensitive to sulfur, silver tarnish (patina in this case) is not harmful. Even when liver of sulfur is used to apply an accelerated patina it is ok to wear the item. Other metals are a different matter however.

brit likes this.
  14. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Went for a classic shave today with the first ever made TTO...My pristine 1934 Gillette Aristocrat.

Paired with:
    Simpson Commodore X3
    Chiseled Face Sherlock soap and AS
    Astra Super Stainless
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Hogie, John Ruschmeyer, ewk and 5 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

good to know..:eatdrink047:

16. brit

brit in a box

that's a beauty Mike.:cool:

Old School and MacDaDad like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

1948 brit fb tech/ball end handle.

20211101_101000_edited1.jpg

ewk, MacDaDad and stuartganis like this.
  18. HDSledge

HDSledge Active Member

That is a real beauty. By the way would you mind posting a few pics of that razor stand and some details about it?

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  19. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    That "stand" is two toothbrush stands next to each other. I bought them for $7 each on Amazon.
    Since, they've disappeared, and now Parker sells them as "razor stands" for $35 each. F Parker.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    MacDaDad, HDSledge and brit like this.
  20. HDSledge

HDSledge Active Member

I like them but am not about to help Parker rip me off for a couple. I echo your F Parker sentiment!

Old School and brit like this.