Glycerin question

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Hairy Alaskan, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

This is probably going to be a dumb question but I have not been able to find any guidelines on the use of Glycerin.

I bought a bottle today but am not entirely sure what to do with it. I have read that it can be added to Witch Hazel to improve skin care. I assume this can be added to aftershave as well to improve skin conditioning?

How much should be added say to a 3oz bottle of aftershave or a 16oz bottle of witch hazel?

Can this be used as a pre-shave prep?

Thank you in advance and forgive my newbness. :o

2. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I've only used it as a pre-shave myself. When I get out of the shower, I put about a nickel to quarter sized puddle in the palm of my hand and rub my hands together and apply it to my face (kinda like you'd put on aftershave).

I leave it on my face while I gather up my gear and get the lather going then I apply the soap right over the top of the glycerin. It makes for slick lather and the best part is that unlike baby oil, vitamin e oil, olive oil, or other pre-shaves I've tried it doesn't leave the oily sludge in your sink or all over your razors or brushes. It rinses right off your hands with no greasiness. It really does work very nicely for a pre-shave. It also seems to moisturize and protect your face from irritation.

3. 2dollaryo

2dollaryo New Member

i'm new here but i just picked up a bottle myself and added to my bowl before working up a lather. I'll have to try the str8 to the face method next shave. Thanks

4. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

5. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Thanks for the great info.

I added some of it to my aftershave and witch hazel. I can't tell any difference. I bought the kind sold at Walmart which I believe is the animal fat one. It is pretty syrupy so it may not be very good quality.

I'll keep experimenting.

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

There's not really any difference between different versions of glycerin - it's always the same. You can add some to alcohol-based aftershaves (I wouldn't add more than 1/16th of the amount of aftershave) to improve the moisturizing abilities but that's that. Personally I've used it to make my own aftershaves but I don' go putting it into other products.

beemers likes this.
  7. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I find it sticky.

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    My general rule of thumb is 5 drops for the Uberlather, and 2 drops per Oz for AS...
    You start going much higher, then you start to bring out the bad effects...

As they say salt to taste or on here it is YMMV :D