Gold Aristocrat 'with no end cap'---what does this mean?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cwiscarolina, Feb 12, 2008.

1. cwiscarolina

cwiscarolina New Member

i ebay'ed an Aristocrat, auction says it shaves perfectly well, but it has no end cap. I feel stupid asking but what does this mean? I haven't shaved with it yet I just want to see if anyone has any input on this situation.

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I'll take a guess and say that the "end cap" the seller refers to is what he believes goes in the TTO knob as a cap. I'm not sure but I have never seen an Aristocrat, aka slim Gillette with a gold tone and the same shaving characteristics, with a "cap". For that matter I have never seen any Gillette with a TTO mechanism with a end cap. There is a small fitting or nut that screws into the the bottom of the razor. This fitting or nut secures the TTO mechanism and the head assembly. In order to remove the Head assembly this fitting is removed much like nut from a bolt. If this is what he is talking about I would rethink the buying part. Hope this helps.

Some Ebay sellers have no clue. Bill will be around soon to refer to "Gabriel":happy102

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

The end cap usually refers to an addition to the side rails that was added to a twist to open razor to provide a small amount of support and for decorative purposes. It will work without it or them. They were made without them for several years. The razor on the left has no end cap, the one on the right does.
    [vbpg]1247[/vbpg]

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh those end caps!!!!!! I was way on the side of the razor:D

Raf

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

6. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

:happy102 :eek: :happy102

7. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath New Member

It's also used as a hook to pull blades out of a dispenser. Although it's kinda moot nowadays since each blade is individually wrapped.

*Oh and it can also be used for dating purposes, since there is a gap between the late 40s and early 50s, you can narrow it down to within a few years depending if it has caps or not.