Gold plated razor questions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sugarbush gnome, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

I've recently acquired some gold plated Gillette TTO razors. Some have no caps and notches, some no notches and caps, some have notches and no caps and some have both notches and caps. What can be discerned from this?

2. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Okay, here is the breakdown:

No notches, no caps -- manufactured prior to WW II

No notches, but caps -- manufactured after WW II, but prior to 1948

Both notches and caps -- basically any Gillette razor manufactured after 1948

Notches and no caps -- ????? Got a picture?

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

someone stole the tent?? <sorry for the hijack but some will get that>

Fuzzy

4. Sugarbush gnome

We're not that technologically advanced here in the surgarbush. But, I got this Aristocrat razor that is notched and does not have end caps. What ever those two doo-hickeyies are called,they appear to have never been plated. It came in a '48 style box, but I don't believe that means much . Understand that I know nothing. I'm sort of collecting blind with a scattergun approach. It was cheap; looked nice, so I bought it. It's been a source of consternation since then, because it's not supposed to exist.

5. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Sound like you have a razor where they fell off.
    Is the metal rough and gray, if so it the solder that held it on.
    You can smooth them up, either by melting the solder with a match (it will flow smooth) or lightly sand and polish it.
    I had 1 just like that, it was one of my favorites, when I got a better example I gave t to a friend who I converted.
    It's now his favorite razor.

6. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Sounds to me like the end caps fell off. I have a similar Aristocrat, still shaves fine.

Yah, what Bob said.

7. Sugarbush gnome

You guys trying to tell me I don't own a one of a kind Gillette razor, worth thousands?:happy102 Thanks for the replies. I had guessed as much, but just wanted to be sure.