Good strop bad strop!!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jason koonce, Oct 5, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ok, you just wait. You're asking for it now. The Strop Gremlin is going to attack, when you least expect it. :scared003:

2. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

I got mine from ShaveNation and yes, I’ve already nicked it but it’s all good. The nicks are far enough to the ends that I’m not worrying about it. I would recommend Straight Razor Designs but apparently they’re going out of business or something... they don’t have any 3” strops or much of anything else right now. Anybody know what’s up there? I got my Dovo just in the “Nick” of time, I guess...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    jason koonce, Keithmax and Paul76 like this.
  3. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Lynn is retiring. I had just bought another strop and some aftershaves last night and was thinking about a new razor or two, but they were all gone.

4. Mr Two Bits

I thought that might be the case. Glad I found his ‘site in time to get my Astrale! He cut me a fantastic deal on it, that’s for sure.

jason koonce, Keithmax and Paul76 like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

LOL....well, I think when I began I used long strokes because the nicks are at the extreme of both ends. I used some saddle soap last week on the ends so no harm no foul. Now I go maybe 10-12 inches max.

Keithmax and jason koonce like this.
  6. Mr Two Bits

What has helped me is not putting any pressure on the blade as I strop. Just swiping it back & forth, turning slowly on the spine and repeating has been effective for me. The nicks come when I start pressing the razor into the strop.

Keithmax and jason koonce like this.
  7. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

So I think I have decided on a Illinois 827. hopefully after the holidays or maybe even in the next couple of days ill have it on order.

DaltonGang and Keithmax like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

My first strop was an Illinois. Yep, nicked it just like they said. Still use it.

jason koonce likes this.