good vs bad ingredents

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by VetsJetsnGuns, Feb 27, 2008.

1. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

There is a great post in soaps about which ingredients hallmark a good soap.
    Soap Definitions
    Any similiar insight into creams? I'm really after a rule of thumb...

Which of these are bad vs good?

Glycols (propylene glycol, glycol stearate)
    Mineral Oil
    Stearic Acid
    Lanolin
    Sodiumn Borate
    Cetyl Alcohol
    Alkyl Benzoate
    Petrolatum

are any of these bad for my brush??

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  3. VetsJetsnGuns

I'm wondering if these ingredients are good or bad for my skin. If they produce good results in shaving or if they are short-cuts. I noticed none of them are on the lists for any of the TOBS I have...

Moviemaniac listed a few ingredients Soap Definitions and I got the impression that if those ingredients are in the top 3 to five, that soap sucks.

I'm looking for similiar guidance in creams, and I just listed some of the ingredients from some stuff my wife brought home. Essentially, I'm trying to decide if it should be returned (soap, not wife).

4. Queen of Blades

:happy097 I'm glad you've decided to keep the wife.

Not so sure about the petroleum jelly or the mineral oil being used on the face, or with my precious brushes. I don't think I'd use products with those ingredients on my face (or brushes), but maybe some of the guys have some experience to share on the matter.

Of course, it's kinda late at night, so...........

<sits down and waits with Jeff> :)

5. VetsJetsnGuns

that Lucky Tiger Molle Brushless Shaving Cream has mineral oil and Lanolin and ingredients 3 and 4 respectively. I was under the impression Lucky tiger was a good brand. I tried whipping some up and it would NOT lather. And then I noticed my brush felt icky. I played with a few other creams and the brush seems normal again. (Whew! If I had to replace it now, we're talkin tweezerman...)

I guess I'm wondering if there are any 'red flag' ingredients that definitely indicate I should not use a given cream

(Aside, love the TSD creams.)

6. Queen of Blades

I think only certain Lucky Tiger products are good, perhaps.

Yeah, icky feeling brush.....that's what I would have expected with petroleum jelly. The other creams hopefully cleaned out the icky-ness.

Thankfully the brush wasn't a Plisson. ;)
    Not sure, other than the 2 I mentioned, but I'm not 100%. I'm sure Klaus (aka Moviemaniac) will be on in a bit. Perhaps he knows more.
    Thank you. :)

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, what I said about Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) also applies for shaving creams, bath bubbles, hair shampoo, liquid soap etc. pp.

If these ingredients are to be found at the front of the ingredients list, stay away from the product - it's not soap but a tenside brew. I won't discuss the health-issues here, it's just, when I buy a soap or a cleaning agent for my skin I don't wanna use something agressive that's been developed as an oil-remover for garage-floors. ;)

I'd also stay away from products with Petrolatum or Mineral oil in them, these oils clog your skin and may cause acne. Besides, they're indicative for a very cheap product that's been designed to be cheap as the most important part of it and not for its performance/healing attributes etc.

You asked about ingredients that are bad for your brush. One thing that comes to my mind is silicon. It provides a slick lather but also clogs the badger hair degrading the lathering quality of the brush over time. It's also very nasty to remove from the brush, so stay away!

There's more "bad" ingredients, but that has to be looked at from case to case, the ones I listed are the most common and the most important.

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

It sounds like it would take a chubby on an automatic mixer stand to whip up some lather with a product containing patrolium jelly.

9. VetsJetsnGuns

Thanks, Klaus.

(Are you a Bio/Chemistry Major?)

Anyopne know about the alcohols? My wife brought home some Spa shaving cream by H20+ and glycols are ingredients 3 & 4...

They show up in a lot of creams and balms. I've heard warnings about them but the Pinaud clubman is about 55% alcohol and it actually seems to be really good on my face...