Goodnight Soap: Beginners Question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by TheBurgh, May 6, 2022.

1. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

Shave is finished, cleanup begins. Soap and its container are wet or damp. Now what?

I have done tons of reading here and elsewhere. This question is elementary, but I can't seem to find the answer. Now that I have some pricey soaps, I'd like to store them correctly after usage (while they and the tub are wet). Don't want to accidentally create tubs of liquified glop or dry them out unnecessarily.

The question applies to both tub-hugging soaps as well as loose pucks in tins.

As always, I deeply appreciate your kind mentoring!

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i leave the lid off overnight to dry then put away in the morning/evening depending on time of shave.

3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I generally will just flip the tub upside down to dry for about 24 hours then reseal. Loose pucks I let dry on a grate and store them once again.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.:signs011:
    I buy refill pucks and keep them in a small bowl, which is then kept in a zip lock baggie.
    Soap doesn't take long to dry. I shave in the morning and often return the soap to the baggie that evening.
    And it's just soap. Don't get all caught up about it. If you try something and don't like the results, try something else. Even a soap that gets goopy will eventually dry out. In fact, all soaps start life in a goopy state. And as far as soaps sitting uncovered and losing scent, that takes decades. I've used 30-40 years old Old Spice that still smelled good.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Zykris like this.
  5. VerbaVolant

VerbaVolant Active Member

For how long do you want to store them?
    Store them until next day? I shave every day using pretty much the same soap until finished then start another one. Leave the tub opened after the shave and close it at night or when I remember. No sweat.
    Store them until next shave with it? Let it dry with the tub open until next day and put it in "storage" dry. This also depends on the humidity inside your house/bathroom.

Ijustmissedthe50s and analog like this.